All reviewsthe pubred cabbagedorset steam faircoleslawroast dinnerplay areafull english breakfastwhilst staying locallyalesciderbulbaccommodationbedsidecottage
Reviewed 24 June 2017

A very secluded pub with good food, good beers and comfortable, well equipped rooms. Located in a quiet village but only about five minutes drive from the main A35 and no more than 15 minutes from Dorchester it is an ideal place to break an East West journey for a night or two, or longer, as we did. It is peaceful, clean, cosy and welcoming. The food is of a high quality, served both tasty and hot and very good value for money. They have a good variety of drinks with local ales kept in very good condition. The décor in both the bedrooms and the public areas is authentic and very clean.
All in all, a very pleasant establishment.

Stayed: June 2017
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

Whilst staying locally decided to use this "watering hole" we both also ordered food. The staff were great. Friendly and genuinely happy. The food was all good. All of the condiments were branded except the salad cream which was Tesco own brand. That's the only thing in my opinion that lowered my star rating. Shame. But would without doubt recommend or return.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2017

We had a fantastic stay, great location for the Great Dorset Steam Fair and the delights of Dorset. The accommodation was perfect for the four of us and we had every thing we needed. The pub next door had great food and you just had to step out of your door. The only negative is the parking arrangements.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

I have been here to eat many times and this time it was to celebrate my parents diamond anniversary. Everything was cooked to perfection. A regular favourite (a lite bite ordered as a starter) is the cheesy crunch garlic bread. Coleslaw under cheese and toasted. Never seen that before and for me, the favourite bit of every meal there. The mains, steaks, were cooked exactly as requested and tasted great, a little better for knowing they were locally sourced as is a lot of their food. They also serve a great real ale, well kept, poured and have a regular change to add variety. Will be back again(and again) I feel.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

Despite living relatively locally and frequenting this hidden gem of a pub quite often this is the first time I have eaten a roast dinner here and cannot rate it higher. Today's choice of beef or pork came with a good selection of veg, the best roast potatoes I have had in a very long time, Yorkshire pudding and onion gravy, all hot and freshly cooked. The only shame was I just didn't have enough room left for one of the delicious looking deserts!

Although this pub is off the main roads it is most certainly worth taking the time to go there to enjoy a good pub meal or one of the fantastic selection of ales.

Keep up the good work!