“Two fantastic meals plus so much more at Dewlish !!”
Review of The Oak at Dewlish

The Oak at Dewlish
Ranked #1 of 1 Dewlish B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 October 2017

We stayed in Dewlish this weekend in a cottage but found the Oak to be absolutely fantastic. We ate on Saturday night and also Sunday lunch time, both meals were gorgeous and I wish we could have stayed all week to have tasted everything on the menu !! The previous landlord and lady where there and had passed on the pub to their son making this a really lovely family run place, with their lovely Granddaughter working behind the bar on Saturday. Our little dog feel in love with theirs and it was so nice to see family all working together plus supporting a village giving it such a great atmosphere. I would happily drive 4 hours every Sunday to have lunch there, sadly there is nothing as special as The Oak at Dewlish within miles of where we live - Thank you so much for your warm welcome to the Pub and thank you to a lovely village with really nice people. Would happier stay at the Pub next time because I am sure the B&B is as great as the Pub and we would be heaven - Sure we'll see you again soon

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 September 2017

A welcoming local pub. Front bar tables often booked up. Back room is cold and less welcoming. Good solid pub grub. Excellent and frequently changing beers get well deserved CAMRA support. Well behaved dogs often present.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

Arrived after 3 pm and wondered how to get in as the door was closed. Eventually found a small note on front door with a mobile number which I phoned. Advised how to get in and which room.
Room set up for one. All sorted out by 6 pm with more towels, cup etc. Shower head broken but replaced promptly.
Surprised as we stayed 2 nights bins not emptied and had to ask for dry towels. Same sheets 2 nights but the same price for 2 nights.
Sorry because of this I don't consider it good value.
Breakfast was nice with fresh bacon, eggs cooked for you.
No hairdryer in the room, which was clean but very small and no light bulb in bedside light.
As with my other reviews if I had been asked if there were problems I would have my feelings directly to the proprietor.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2017

I’ll admit from the start I was hoping to like this place. Dewlish was the ancestral home of my father’s family and since the 1600’s they were tenant farmers in this tiny speck of a place. It all changed during the Industrial Revolution when they left for fame and fortune, but for me it was a bit of a homecoming. It didn’t hurt that beautiful weather graced our trip to green Dorset, nor the GPS that helped us find this out of the way place.
As noted elsewhere there are three rooms plus a guest house. As expected the rooms are small, but spotless. Windows (that open) look out back on the garden, children’s play area and farm fields that go on and on. The bathroom is small, the shower like a phone booth, but well within European standards. Wi-Fi throughout, adequate TV and channel choice, comfortable bed and best of all very friendly staff. We were welcomed at every turn and after a short nap came down for dinner. Every seat in the place was eventually filled as the evening went on and a real pub atmosphere prevailed. Breakfast in the morning was tasty, plentiful and genuine.
I don’t know if the story is true, but was told after the local shop closed, the school closed, the villagers banded together to save their local pub and this is it. It’s the real deal.

Room Tip: Reserve early, only 3 rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Whilst on a family holiday this place was suggested as basic pub grub but nice. It out shone all expectations! The place was beautiful. The staff were very friendly and and the food was amazing!!! The kids were well catered for as in the garden is a slide and play area. Wish I had found this place earlier so we could go back but going home tomorrow. The price was very reasonable considering two of our meals were specials. Highly recommended!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dewlish
5.0 km away
The Poachers Inn
#1 of 2 in Piddletrenthide
7.5 km away
The Old Mill Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Oak at Dewlish? Share your experiences!