“Nice place for an afternoon visit”
Review of Jungle Island

Ranked #23 of 354 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are closed recovering from Hurricane Irma and will be back in early 2018! Jungle Island is located between downtown Miami and South Beach. The park offers amazing animal exhibits, unique shows and up-close animal interactions unlike anywhere else.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 15 March 2012

There are several shows that take place here besides the views of exotic birds, wildlife, foliage and fauna! GREAT for kids!

Reviewed 11 March 2012

We liked feeding the birds and watching the live bird show.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Today I brought my seven year old grandson, and four year old granddaughter, to Jungle Island for the first time. I live very close to the original Parrot Jungle and thought it would be nice if they could have an enjoyable experience, as my children did many years ago, at the original site.
However, our visit started off with a horrible experience. Before I had even entered the turnstile, my grandchildren had been grabbed by several young men and literally dragged off and handed large parrots to hold. I was barely through the turnstile, when I was grabbed and pulled as well. My grandson, was immediately bitten by a parrot, as I was trying to extricate myself from the stranger’s hands to help him. I took him to receive first aid, and spoke to the manager, Violeta Del Villar, who seemed very unconcerned, and unapologetic about the problem. She did call in the manager of the photo shoots, and he was defensive as well.
Is it really necessary or appropriate to immediately and literally grab onto people as they enter the park? Shouldn’t one ask permission of the parent or guardian before a young child is handed a bird, let alone removed from your immediate person and rushed off.
The whole scene that took place was surreal, and happened so quickly that I was taken aback and shocked. As it was happening, I assumed we were being herded off to see a show. The fact that we were all manhandled to “prepare a photo” appalls me.
After my grandson calmed down, we did tour the park. It is a poor version of a small zoo, with animals in small cages. The grounds are tropical and scenic. The shows were 15 minutes and awful, even my young grandchildren realized that. There is a charge to pet some of the animals, in addition to a large entrance fee and parking fee. Save your money and go to Zoo Miami , where the animals roam much more freely, and the employees and docents are courteous and well trained.

2  Thank lovefood51
Reviewed 29 February 2012

feb 20 2012 I was here. The entrance is too much. $15 for a photo. In 3 hours you have seen everything. It was a relaxing day, the weather was okey and don't forget your $8 for parking. In miami zoo you will see more animals. Enjoy...

Reviewed 28 February 2012

We went to Jungle Island this past Saturday when they were having an event in conjunction with the South Beach Wine and Food Festival. Fortunately we had discount coupons, because even with those we didn't feel we got our money's worth - regular admission was over $30. They grab you at the entrance to have pictures taken with the animals, but don't dare try to take your own pictures; they're only available for purchase. They have lots of birds, so if that's what you're looking for, you may love it. Otherwise they had a few large cats, a few primates, and a few reptiles to see. The enclosures were small, so you could see animals, but many seemed stressed. Skip the "Rare Plant Nursery," you can see the same plants in the nursery section of a Lowe's or Home Depot. The restrooms were small and dirty, but that may have been related to the crowds there for the event. However, if they didn't have the activities associated with the weekend event, we would have been done in an hour. The staff we encountered weren't helpful, we had several questions during the day and most of the time the answer was along the lines of "I don't know." In one instance, the question was how to get from one point to another. Other reviewers have stated how the maps and signs in the park aren't helpful, I agree completely. The map makes the park look much larger than it is. If you do go, remember to bring cash to pay the $8 for parking when you leave. Overall, I'd say skip Jungle Island and go to Fairchild for plants or ZooMiami for animals.

1  Thank nateyates