“Amazing food!”

Mary's Cuban Kitchen and Bakery
Ranked #66 of 505 Restaurants in Ocala
Cuisines: Cuban
Reviewed 29 January 2015

I tried this place today for the first time and had the lunch special. There was so much food that we cancelled our dinner plans. Not only was there a lot of food, but the quality of the food was excellent. The shredded beef was delicious. We bought some pastries to try later but I know one thing for sure. We will definitely be back and if you have to go out of your way to get there I can assure you it will be worth the trip. Nothing fancy, just a store front restaurant, but the food is excellent and the owner was friendly and helpful.

2  Thank Norma_and_Vince

Reviewed 19 January 2015 via mobile

Amazing food so much to choose from. The Cuban sandwiche.is great. There deserts are to die for.. so much to pick from you cannot go wrong

1  Thank raggyann430
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Mary's Cuban Kitchen and Bakery is in the Jasmine Plaza, located on HWY 200 a little west of I-75 in Ocala. My wife and I had stopped to eat at another place in the plaza and happened to see a sign for this Cuban Bakery a few doors down. It sounded like a good place to stop in for dessert and we made it inside just in time before they closed.

I was greeted and helped by co-owner Tom, who was very kind and with whom I enjoyed talking during our short visit. It was truly a pleasure hearing him talk about his place and about the food there.

Taking up two storefronts, the bakery was nice and open on the inside. It was appointed with several tables and resembled an authentic, comfortable Cuban bakery/cafe where one could enjoy a leisurely breakfast, lunch or dessert. However, as it was almost closing time, we ended up getting out treats to go.

The display case was rather empty as it was near the end of the day, but the few items that remained all looked very good. I ended up choosing a tres leches cake and a traditional flan (which I've never tried before). My wife chose a guava fruit cake (which she also has never had).

As our items were being boxed up, I happened to comment about some croquetas I saw in another case. Hearing this, Tom welcomed me to take them as it was the end of the day and he would not let me pay for them--this was a very kind gesture and is the kind of unique generosity you are only going to experience at an independent place like this.

Once we got home, we dove into our sweets. My wife LOVED her guava cake. It had a nice sweetness and the moist cake mixed deliciously with the guava fruit filling. The icing was sort of a whipped icing and made for a good topping without being too sugary or too heavy. The cake overall had a very nice balance of sweetness and fruit flavor.

My flan was thick without being too dense and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The liquid bottom had a caramel taste to it, which created a whole new flavor when mixed with the flan. The flan was good enough on its own, but I also liked the different flavors made by mixing it with the liquid bottom.

The highlight for me was definitely the tres leches cake. I've always had a love for tres leches cakes and this one was absolutely awesome! The milk-moistened cake was sweet, flavorful and refreshing all at the same time. While many tres leches cakes totally soak up the milk, this one still had a small amount of actual milk surrounding it, which made it even better. Despite the milky goodness around it, the cake was delightfully moist without being soggy in any way. The milk was also sweet--as if it may have had a little confectionary sugar mixed into it. The icing on top was light but added a nice texture and taste to the dessert. It was fantastic.

As for those complimentary croquetas--they were even better than ones I had a Cuban restaurant in Miami. The croquetas had a great breading on them and a delicious meat (ham) center. My favorite item was the large, round breaded item, which seemed to be filled with mashed potatoes surrounding a meat center. After some research, I believe these were papas rellenas (stuffed potato balls) and they were excellent.

I'm thrilled we stopped in and had a chance to meet the co-owner and have some incredible, authentic Cuban food. I hope to go back to try more items from the regular menu and to enjoy a more leisurely meal in the actual restaurant. It's a great bakery with both savory and dessert items, all within a Cuban atmosphere with friendly and welcoming owners.

5  Thank dbfoodie
Reviewed 15 April 2014

A nice surprise find about 3 miles due west from I-75 on SR-200. Clean, unassuming place serving authentic cuban cuisine. Friendly staff. Breakfast and lunch dishes are delicious and uncompromisingly cuban! Bakery goods (specially guava pastries) are as good as those home made by my Abuelita. May be hard to spot in small shopping center, but it's worth the detour! Much better than any other cuban restaurant I have visited in central Florida.

3  Thank cokeguy72
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My husband and I stopped in to try their cuban sandwich. We really liked it. The bread was perfect and fresh. It was a busy day today and their bakery goods were mostly sold out, so we cannot attest to how those were, but we were able to see the items offered from their steam table choices and they all looked tasty and authentic. Atmosphere is unremarkable, however there were many customers who seemed friendly with each other and enjoying an unrushed bite to eat. Also saw a customer special ordering a decorated cake so there's that service as well.