“Great first trip with family.”

Universal Studios Florida
Ranked #8 of 442 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This vast complex houses two theme parks (Universal Studios, for movie rides, and Islands of Adventure, for thrills), an entertainment/nightlife complex (CityWalk) and a variety of hotels. You can buy passes for admission to the parks or just visit the bars, restaurants and stores on the CityWalk.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We really had no idea what to expect. We were a little worried coming during "spring break" that it would be completely rammed. But it was manageable and very enjoyable.

We are a family of 5, with kids aged 10, 9 and 4. Our eldest has Down Syndrome and is scared of loud and/or dark/jumpy places. Our youngest is 40" so too short for many rides...

The 2 best things for us, were early entry with on-site hotel (Cabana Bay) and child swap. Here's why...

On two days we went early (at gate by 7:30 for 8:00 entry. Both times gates opened early and we joined a small stampede to Harry Potter (day #1) and Minions (day #2) with about a 15 minute wait. Perfect! We could ride 2 'big' rides with no wait, while it was cool before park opened. Then we could try the less popular rides after 9am - and it slowly got busier and pretty packed by 12:00.

We left the park at 1pm first day and 3pm second day. The longest queue was actually Hippogrifth ride - we waited 30minutes.

Next big benefit was child swap. It meant we could stay together and anyone that was too small or too scared could wait with one parent, and then after the ride, the other parent can ride with any of the kids that want to again. Brilliant, and it meant our middle son got to ride most rides twice.

We are going again tonight at about 6pm for Mardi Gras and so the "grown ups" can try bigger rides (Hulk and Fear Drop" as single riders, and maybe try minions or HP again. Park closes at 10pm over Easter!

So to sum it all up. A great trip, even at one of the busiest times of the year. Thanks Universal :-)

1  Thank Adam M
UOGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Universal Studios Florida, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hello Adam,
Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your review! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed our thrilling attractions at Islands of Adventure and were able to maximize your time in the park by visiting us during Early Park Admission! It's also great you were able to ride some of your favorite attractions by utilizing child swap! I appreciate you sharing these recommendations as I'm sure future Guests will be able to follow this advice to make the most out of their visit as well! I hope we see you in our parks again sometime soon!
-Lissette

Write a ReviewReviews (32,391)
All reviews
in 761 reviews
"park pass"
in 548 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We have been to Disney World and wanted to experience Universal Studios. Our children are 14 and 17 so this theme park was perfect for their ages. We went on roller coasters, ate at the diner and had a great time. I feel like it is geared more for teenagers because of the rides. Our favorite part was the Harry Potter section.

1  Thank 11Hjaeger

Hello,
Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your review! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed our thrilling attractions at Universal Studios Florida and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! I'm glad your family was able to enjoy the park and have fun! I hope we see you in our parks again sometime soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

You know you are in for a great day, when the staff at the gate were "working the crowd". I'm sure I'm not alone when saying it's wrong to sell Fast-Passes on top of general admission fee, but we spent the extra. Overall we had a great time. A little motion sickness didn't stop us. Wished for a few more traditional roller coaster type rides.

Hello,
Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your review. I have made sure to document your feedback and will be passing it along to the appropriate departments, I hope we see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

It was everything we imagine, and more. It was extremely crowded in the Harry Potter regions, but even then staff kept things moving smoothly.
The only thing we would change is that we would definitely buy Express Passes next time. You spend a little more money, but you'll get to experience so much more without all of the waiting.

UOGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Universal Studios Florida, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Hi,

I am so happy to see you had an amazing time with us! During our busier times, our parks can experience quite a bit of crowds. I'm glad that our Team Members were able to keep everything under control and moving smoothly for you. The Express Pass is an awesome option to maximize your visit with us. It allows you to spend less time in line, and more time having fun with your friends and family. I always suggest to check the wait times once you enter the park and if they sound like they may be more than you are willing to wait, go for the Express Pass. I hope you visit us again soon!

- Molly