“Top Notch Experience in the GF Villas”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
New Jersey
“Top Notch Experience in the GF Villas”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We just returned from an 8 night stay in the new Grand Floridian Villas. WOW. We had a 2 bedroom villa on the top floor and everything about our room was spectacular. I have stayed at other Disney Villa's and their deluxe resorts (including the regular hotel rooms at the Grand Floridian), but I will never be able to stay anyplace but the GF Villas again! The two bedroom had a full kitchen, dining area and living room. The living room had a sleeper sofa (which we did not use) and a "Murphy" bed (we tried it mostly for the novelty of it and it was comfortable). The master bedroom had a king bed, full walk-in closet, desk, and plenty of drawer space. The master bath had a huge walk-in shower and vanity with a sink, plus a separate area with an additional vanity and sink, plus a sunken tub with jacuzzi jets. The mirror in the vanity had a built-in tv! The second bedroom had two queen beds, a large closet, a desk, and a divided bathroom which included a walk-in shower and vanity with a sink, and a second tub with a shower. The washer/dryer in the Villas is always a nice perk. There was plenty of room for my family of 4 and my teenagers loved having their own room, bathroom and balcony entrance. The balcony was accessible from the master bedroom, second bedroom and living room. We chose the "standard" view, which turned out to be beautiful. We faced the main GF building with views of the beach and lake, beach pool, fountain, covered walkway and the monorail.

The main building was a 1-2 minute walk from our room. As always, the staff was friendly and accommodating. We rented a car and there was plenty of parking close to the Villas. The Magic Kingdom is the first monorail stop from the GF which made the trip into the park a breeze! The only issue we encountered was having to wait in line for the monorail back to the hotel at night. Although there is a monorail entrance ramp for the monorail "resorts" and a separate ramp for the Ticket and Transportation Center, Disney does not seem to enforce this (in fact, we heard one cast member tell someone to take the "resort" monorail to the TTC). It's a bit frustrating since room prices for the MK resorts are at a premium, but what can you do? Not worth complaining to anyone because it probably wouldn't change anything. So we chose to take the boat back to the hotel at night which was much quicker (the boat is shared with the Poly, the GF is the first stop)...minor problem easily solved. The only issue with the boat would be if you are traveling with a stroller and can't fold it--we noticed several people were turned away from the boat because they could not fold their double stroller (not sure why though, since I thought all strollers folded).

We spent time at both the Beach Pool and Courtyard Pool, but preferred the Courtyard because it was a bit quieter. The Beach Pool is definitely great if you have small children--there is a slide and the Alice in Wonderland themed play area looked like fun! They also have daily activities at the Beach Pool for kids--looked like games and dancing, etc... We ate at the Beach Pool Grill one afternoon and the food was tasty. They also have a drink refilling station at the Beach Pool (in addition to the one at Gasparilla's; the bar at the Courtyard pool will also fill the drink mugs). At night, we enjoyed sitting in the main lobby and listening to the piano player and jazz band.

Overall, the hotel was a great experience and we will absolutely stay in the Villas again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank JSR119

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (958)
  • Turkish first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We have stayed at a number of resorts at Walt Disney World and this was by far the best yet. I met my daughter, husband and 2 young children and we shared a room. The room was clean and roomy. We had a balcony overlooking the lagoon and the show at night was as perfect as looking at the view during the day. The 3 pools were great and the children really enjoyed the pirate one which is more of a splash park.
The grounds and service were impeccable.
We all agreed that the grill restaurant was not up to par. You wait in line and tell them what you want and pay at the register. (kind of like a cafeteria) We took our #'s and sat down....waited and waited for our food. It was not crowded (now I know why) and my daughter went to check on our orders. She received hers minutes later, but mine did not come for another 5 minutes....and we all agree it was not worth waiting for! We did not go back, but ate at the pool etc. The other restuarants were great.

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony overlooking the lagoon are quiet with a spectacular view.
Moline, Illinois
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Our family consisting of 3 adults decided to take a vacation after a very difficult year and decided on Disney World. We have been to Disney many times since it opened but this was our first time staying at the Grand Floridian. The room was beautiful with a view from the patio overlooking the marina. The room was spotless, comfortable, and very large. We ordered room service several times and it was both reasonable and very good. The family also enjoyed several of the restaurants inside the resort including the Cafe for breakfast, Park Fare for character breakfast, Citricos for dinner, and my personal favorite Narcoosee's for dinner. Having so many dining options close by was a huge time saver and the food was incredible. This hotel has all of that Disney magic you would expect and then some.

Room Tip: We enjoyed staying in Sago Cay.
2 Thank DwnSouth
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel after our cruise for 2 nights and stayed in the Sugar loaf concierge building. The room was large and nice however the dining area in the lounge was small and very crowded.

The staff seemed old and tired and did not live up the Disney level of experience that Disney prides them self on.

Over New Years we stayed at this property but only at the Main club building which was fantastic.

Purcellville, Virginia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I grew up in a big family so we always stayed at the campers in fort wilderness and we always went by the Grand Floridian. For my honeymoon my mother in law got my husband and I a room there while we were at Disney and I was so excited. You walk in and there is no denying that it is an absolutely beautiful! So you would expect the rooms to be just as spectacular as the rest of the hotel. The rooms were dated and sad :( it just looked like a house someone had JUST moved into and hadn't done anything but put some random furniture in.

On top of this we were supposed to get a castle view room. We did have a view of the castle but I would not have called it that. We had a big tree in the way and it was just annoying. We went to go to bed and this may sound silly but the sheets were really poor quality. A little crunchy and just uncomfortable. Also each night for turn down service they leave you a robe and they always look like they were used and shoved in the bottom of someone's gym bag before they got to our room, very wrinkly, crunchy and dirty looking. Also every other disney experience I had included towel animals. Again I know it sounds silly but my husband had never been to disney EVER and I wanted him to get everything he never got as a kid.

The food was good with the only exception being pizza. We got room service one night and just wanted to relax and so we decided to go with pizza. It was literally the worst pizza I have EVER had. It was awful not a trip killer just don't order it even if you are starving to death.

This resort is so beautiful and I am so sad that it wasn't everything I expected. The service was good I was just a little disappointed. I wish I could come here and RAVE about this resort but I hope that maybe Disney will just up their game and I can write a great review later.

• Stayed October 2013