“OKW - the most non-disney disney resort”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #70 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I stayed in OKW for 1 week in November and only chose the resort as I was purchasing a special discount deal. This would have to be the least Disney feeling place in which I have stayed and I was very comfortable overall.
I was alone in a 1 bedrm villa and it was HUGE. I think plenty of people here have described all the facilities. My room was in very good condition and beautifully clean. The atmosphere is very relaxed and casual. Because the rooms are spread out over a large estate rather than clustered around a central entrance there is not the effect of squillions of kiddies running in the corridors and clogging up the restaurants. I am lazy and felt that I needed a car. So it was very convenient to park at the door for free. My room was all the way down near South Point bus stop at Bld 51 and was no where near the pool or main hospitality house. I really needed that car - even just to duck up to Goods to Go or the store for a drink or anything. I didn't have much of a view as such - on the ground floor, looking at a bunch of bushes with a golf course and expressway in the distance.
The bed linen and towels were excellent - very new (albeit the towels are very small!). If i had others (say friends) with me this would be a great location due to the large amount of available space.
I recommend this place for people looking for a refuge from the hustle of the parks and large hotels, and people looking for space with multiple people in one room - oh and be prepared to have a car.

Room Tip: ask for something near hospitality house if you want to walk to stores
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank DownunderSugarglider
Write a ReviewReviews (2,676)

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Stayed at Old Key West for 3 nights using our Disney Vacation Club points. Have stayed here several times and we love it here as it has a more relaxing feel to it than other Disney resorts.
We had a studio which was plenty big enough for the 3 of us - it was in a great location overlooking one of the small pools and with a bus stop over the road. East to park and a short stroll to the centre of the resort.
We like to spend a lot of time at the pool and choose the quiet pools as the main one is a bit manic for us!
Went into downtown disney on the boat which was fun but tended to come back on the bus as it got a bit nippy late at night.
Didnt use the restaurant but the little bar is nice for a late drink and the fast food takeaway was ok.
Overall we would definately come back again - looking forward to next time. Nothing bad to say about it at all.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank karensolihull
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I couldn't bring myself to give Old Key West an average rating, because overall we had a wonderful stay. We checked in very early, though - 9:30 - and our room was only ready at 1:30 PM because we begged for it and told them we didn't care where it was located. We ended up in a second floor two bedroom unit in building 34 thanks to a wonderfully kind and accommodating cast member.

Though the master bathroom was definitely showing the age of this hotel (chipped tiles and paint, a gigantic shower with a shower head that didn't quite fit) the room was otherwise great. Comfortable beds (if you don't count the sleeper sofa, ugh), spacious, and having the kitchen was a great option. The room was kept immaculate during our entire stay - by housekeeping, that is. However, we are not DVC members and therefore the cost of this room - approximately $700 a night with all taxes - was still a bit of a kick in the gut, even with the money we saved by not eating out all the time.

The other issue I have with OKW is the bus system. Though we never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus, once we got on the buses they drove all over the entire resort before heading to the parks - I can safely say that we never sat on one of those buses for LESS than 25 minutes. Add to that the fact that you will likely wait up to 15 minutes (at least) for a bus and that's one heck of a commute time to factor in when you want to get to the parks early. Of the Disney resorts that exist in their current form, I've stayed at 13 of them (three values, all of the moderates, Saratoga, Fort Wilderness cabins and a few deluxe resorts) and the only place with worse transportation than Old Key West is the Fort Wilderness Cabins. Just something to keep in mind.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank ageeksaga
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed in a 1 bed villa for 2 weeks in october. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort or return for another visit.
The accomodation was spacious and well laid out. The children slept in the sitting/dinning room/kitchen and even with the beds pulled out there was lots of room to move about. The only down side was that for a family of 4 there was only 1 toilet. The bathroom facilities were good with a seperate shower and bath.
The area around Turtle pond road was great for us. Near the bus stop and the quiet pool and snack bar and not too busy.

Room Tip: Try and ask for a top floor as the trees and bushes are sometimes close to the building and can make...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank vicki c
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I enjoyed my stay at Old Key West, my first stay at this Disney resort. The only minus that I can give was the check-in problem. Our keys wouldn't work so we had to wait over 30 minutes in a torrential rain storm for a staff member to manually open te door for us with a metal key. Overall, our way was excellent. One caveat: Old Key West is not like a traditional hotel. The suites are laid out across a vast area surrounding a golf course. So if you have room in your vacation budget for a rental car, I highly recommend it. I was glad I did when I realized how large this resort is. Other than that, everything is what you would expect from Disney: clean, friendly staff, and beautiful landscape. Have fun!

• Stayed: October 2011