“They Say "Welcome Home" But Don't Mean It”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #73 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I've praised Disney for for over three decades, but can't really give a high recommendation to Old Key West. The facility is nice, but not great, the Disney Cast Members are gracious, but don't give the typically expected exceptional service, and you'll likely pay a lot of your hard earned money for a place to sleep that you can buy for considerably less on a online discount service. All in all, a pretty disappointing experience. Here's what you need to know:

1. The walls are very thin. Try and get a room without an adjoining door. I hate hearing my neighbors conversations.
2. You don't get daily maid service. That works if you are in a larger unit with a washer and dryer, but not if you are in a single. We requested clean towels and they refused.
3. Make sure you have a car because you'll likely be a long way from everything (including the Hospitality House) and you have to depend on Disney bus service which is regular, but slow. You get free parking at the resort and in the parks (that's a bonus).
4. Be prepared to be a long walk from the pool. (healthy, no problem - if you have a walker or need assistance, you'll likely be angry)
5. Be prepared to be a long walk from an ice machine. (same as #4)
6. Be prepared to be a long walk from a bus stop. (same as #4)

But then........you're on vacation, so take a deep breath and have a good time!

Room Tip: Pick a resort closer to the things you plan to do. This may not be it!
3  Thank sink-me
Write a ReviewReviews (2,631)

Reviewed 15 December 2011

Just got back from 4 days at Disney. We stayed here in 2005 and now in 2011. Not as good, as it needs some TLC. However, the staff and the food we had were very good. We were in a studio and you could here the people in the next room. Not much fun when your trying to get to sleep. We stayed in room 1326, to close the bus route, as you hear them all night until 1:00AM. The beds were comfortable and shower worked fine. I hate to write this as I love
Walt Disney.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gregory W
Reviewed 15 December 2011

The rooms were definitely in need to a refresh because they all were looking quite dated. Unfortunatley I feel the newer designs are nice and are pretty, they lack the whimsy and tropical feeling the old rooms had. Room feel bland and dark and cold with the new color palettes and I feel like I'm staying in Grandma's house rather than a family key west vacation. Do not get me wrong, the new designs are nice, but I feel that they need to include more variety of styled rooms or alter them some how. Light blue and yellow seem much more French than Key West and are very safe colors to use. I think most of the rooms at Disney are themed so well it is nice to escape from what is the norm and be in an environment that is different than a typical hotel room or even my neighbors home. I have no other complaints about this resort and It holds a place in my heart. But now I find myself feeling it has lost its original theme and doesn't have the life it once had.

1  Thank j2thego
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We first discovered OKW in 2007 when we rented points for a budget Disney trip while I was in graduate school. We feel in love with the sense of community, spacious villas, lovely grounds, and convenient transportation. For our last stay, we were in a grand villa, and I have to say that I feel utterly spoiled. We checked in early so that we could gain access to the dinning plan we perched. After lunch, we returned to the resort to wait for our room. Our kids immediately found the corner where they show classic Disney cartoons in the lobby. They have pint-sized wicker chairs arranged around a big screen TV. The kids were entertained while my husband and I sat on a nearby comfy couch, visiting with other guests and doing some last-minute work tasks.
My husband got a text that our room was ready. The housekeeping staff had left countless elaborate towel animals--from kissing bunnies to a hula girl and graceful swans. My six-year-old daughter was over the moon.

The one bedrooms, two bedrooms, and grand villas are truly large. The furnishings are new as of this last year, so the rooms feel fresh and clean. At the same time, the furniture is mismatched and it feels comfortably beach like and homey, as if a family has decorated the place over time. The balconies are large and generally quite private. Coffee in our PJs on the balcony is always one of our favorite parts of our stay. The beds are new and very comfortable. The resort now has Wi-Fi that is fast and was reliable throughout our stay. The kitchens are very well stocked, and I have cooked full-blown meals for a large group without encountering issues with the supplies.

For some reason, this place feels like you are visiting a town with a real sense of community rather than a resort. We always get to know people at the bus stops or down by the hospitality house. I walked over to the hospitality house each morning to get pastry and juice for breakfast. The staff was always talking and laughing when I came in, and they would invite me into the banter. Such a simple thing, but it really makes me feel a connection to this place that I have yet to replicate at any other Disney property.

2  Thank DocAnne1
Reviewed 11 December 2011

My five-star rating is qualified by the fact that I'm a Disney Vacation Club (DVC) member and OKW is my home resort. As such, I don't pay per-night fees for OKW, but am entitled to between seven and 10 room nights per year, depending on date and days.

I've stayed in most of the DVC villas on the Disney World property and OKW continues to be the one I come back to. The suites are by far the largest of any at Disney. The kitchens are large and well-stocked, and the sleeping rooms are huge, with whirlpool baths and showers large enough for two people. There is plenty of cabinet and storage space and beginning this year free Wi-Fi (previously, Internet access was hard-wired and carried a fee).

The property is also generous. The villas are spread out and curl around a golf course, which I've never played but which looks spectacular. There are fountains everywhere and lush tropical foliage that matches the Old Key West theme.

There are three pools. Two are nondescript by Disney standards. The central pool is large and raucous, with nearby playground, tennis courts, shuffleboard and basketball. The main pool used to be the most sedate of the Disney resort swimming areas, but the addition of an impressive water slide a few years ago has made it more attractive. It's still not very interesting from a thematic perspective though. Yacht & Beach Club has the best pool of any of the Disney resorts by far.

There is only one restaurant and a small general store. The recreation area features a nice community center with games and activities for kids. A boat runs continuously between OKW and Downtown Disney, which is probably why the restaurant selection is limited.

I find OKW to be the most relaxed of the Disney resorts. It's spacious, low-key, clean and well-appointed. The staff is unceasingly cheerful and courteous. I'm not sure I'd call it a good value at $445/night for a one-bedroom villa. As a DVC resort, it's a pretty good deal.

Room Tip: Quietest rooms are at the back of the property. Blocks 63 and 14 are next to the entrance and should...
4  Thank pgillin0734