“Beautiful and peaceful”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #74 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We just returned from a 5 night stay in one of the 2 bedroom villas. It was a great place to call "home" for our vacation. Loved the gorgeous landscaping, it was quiet, there was a bus stop nearby, and the rooms were spacious. The pools were a little out of the way, but we loved sitting on our balcony and watching the golfers and the sunset. A very comfortable and relaxing place to be!

Room Tip: Decide how important it is to you to be close to a pool and make your preference known. From buildin...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank codeitup
Write a ReviewReviews (2,631)

Reviewed 22 March 2012

We regularly visit Disney World as we are Disney Vacation Club members, being keen to try as many of the resorts as possible. As we were arriving on the 29th December, most of the more 'popular' DVC resorts were fully booked so this was our opportunity to stay at OKW.
We booked a studio for the four of us for 5 nights, requesting a room near the Hospitality House (reception area, shop etc) for the convenience. Our room was approximately 100 yards from reception which was very handy.
I have to say that I really liked the ambiance of the place and how chilled and laid back it was. The area around Hospitality House was very clean and staff were very helpful.
The room itself was fine but I felt the decor was a bit dated particularly in the bathroom. Location was adjacent to the main road leading into the resort, which meant we were awoken by the early buses going to and from the parks. Also, because of its location we tended to have the blinds closed for privacy, which led to the room feeling a tad dark.
Disney transportation to the parks was slightly hit and miss, but not overly bad.
We didn't eat at Olivia's but tried the quick service option which was fine but it had a limited menu.
Would stay again, but probably after we have tried other resorts.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Mark K
Reviewed 20 March 2012

As a 2-year DVC member, I have actively been trying to check out different hotels every time we visit Disney World. For my latest trip in Mid-March I wanted something economical (low points) and close to the action. I wanted until last minute to book so my choices were Animal Kingdom or Old Key West and since I've stayed at Animal Kingdom before and found that the location was a bit out of the way, I decided to give Old Key a try. As soon as we arrived and saw the cute pastel colored units and simple elegance of the decor and surrounding golf course, I knew it would be a good choice. When we arrived we were greeted and taken to the lobby for check-in. It wasn't even 10 am yet but they told us our room was ready which was a pleasant surprise. When I checked in online a few days before our trip, I had requested a room near the Hospitality House, despite opting not to pay more points for a guaranteed centralized location. As luck would have it, my request was granted and we were put in Unit #18. The location was great, we had a bus stop right outside the unit and we were only a few minute's walk to the Hospitality House area. When booking here be aware that the resort is HUGE and if you are not near the HH you will have to drive or take shuttles to the lobby / boat dock / restaurant / store / main pool and recreation area. If I ever go back I would consider paying the extra points to guarantee being near the HH, it's definitely worth it. For this trip, myself and a friend were traveling so it was nice to have 2 double beds instead of a double and a sleeper sofa like in most DVC studio villas. The room was set up differently than any I had been in before, but it was functional and allowed for a lot of open space to move around in. I had read complaints that Old Key West was outdated, but I didn't feel that way at all. My only complaint about the room was that there was no light in the ceiling fan. Having a big, main light would have been nice, especially when we walked in late at night and we had to walk around turning on all of the smaller lights throughout the room. The resort itself did not disappoint either. Having all of the activities in one central location was nice and very convenient. The main pool is gorgeous and features a big sand castle slide. One thing I always look for when I stay at Disney resorts is transportation options. Old Key West is located near Downtown Disney and has a waterway which allows you to take a boat back and forth. The ferry's seemed to come quickly and made the trip to Downtown only about 10 minutes long. All other parks are serviced by bus, which for the first time in my Disney history I really don't have any complaints about. All of the workers I encountered on this trip were very happy and helpful, which is always appreciated. One morning we ate at Olivia's Cafe for breakfast and I loved it. They have unique breakfast offerings at affordable prices. I will definitely be eating there again, even if I'm not staying at Old Key. Overall, I had an absolutely amazing time at Disney this March and I was super happy with my accommodations at Old Key West!

Room Tip: Use online check in and request "Near Hospitality House" or just pay a bit more for a vill...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Ashley8053
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Resort is quiet but don't get a room facing the golf course because the golf course gets a blow-dry each morning.

It's the least expensive of Disney Vacation Club accomodations and also the largest rooms which were recently renovated.

Enter your room with caution because the last time we got a room there we realized someone else was in the room when we arrived. The maids may be allowing their friends and or family to stay in unsold rooms.

Room Tip: Choose a room nearest the pool because the resort is large and you will have to walk to the main poo...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Floridabluemacau
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. The reasons I didn't give it 5 stars is that they don't have any really good "quick" meal choices...they need another restaurant, in my opinion. Also, some rooms are so close to the roads and I am sure that must make it difficult to sleep when the late-night buses go by and a few buildings are really close to a well-traveled road, which has to be noisy, too. Our room was away from either of those noise-sources, though, so we had no complaints about that. We rented points and were very satisfied with the room and the little porch and the overall feel of the entire resort.

Room Tip: Few buildings have elevators so if you are not able to do stairs, you should be sure to ask for one...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple