“Two Uninvited Guests”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Orlando - Disney Springs Area
Ranked #108 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 5 July 2017

Let me start by saying that this is a nice hotel. Great pool, great lobby, great Disney Store in lobby, great convenience store, great transportation. What turned out to be a great stay the first four nights of our eight night stay, went south very fast late on Saturday night. After a long day at Epcot, we returned to our spacious suite around 11 pm to unwind and get ready for bed. My daughter caught something moving on the wall next to her. It was a cockroach. We were all freaked out and my husband was able to trap it in a cup, killed it and removed it from the room. I began searching the room with a flashlight and discovered a second one. I tried to catch this one without any luck. Grossed out our family of five went to the front desk and after a short discussion with the two employees at the front desk, we were moved to the only room available at 1 am...a handicap accessible room. We went from a room with two queen beds and a pull out sofa to a one queen, pull out and a cot. The room was defiantly smaller to stay in with five people, but we were thankful to have this room. This room was a Hilton Honors room and you could tell that it was cleaned differently than the last room. The last room had food crumbs under the beds. This room was spotless.

Would I stay at this hotel again? The answer is no. I feel that it is the responsibility of a hotel to keep their rooms clean and bug free. I have traveled to many different hotels over the last 20 years that I have been traveling and I have never experienced anything like this. I chose this hotel by it's great reviews and was disappointed that this happened. It is a real let down when you save for your Disney trip for over a year and this happens. If this would have not happened I would have easily given the hotel a five star rating. This is why I gave it a three and not a one because most of the staff are extremely nice and the amenities are great.

Upon check out we had to ask for some sort of compensation for our trouble. It was not offered out right and we were actually charged the whole amount of our stay when we checked out. My husband commented on our problem we had and were told that we could only receive a one night stay deducted from our bill. I am not sure what the proper procedure is in this situation but it didn't seem like much.

Just one notable tip: This hotel is the last pick up and drop off in a loop of four hotels. We had to stand most of the time when we were on the bus. Met some nice people who offered their seats to us, but most of the people were bossy and one lady was down right mean yelling at us to keep moving back in an already jam packed bus because there were more hotels to pick up. I hate to tell her that the Doubletree is the last hotel to be picked up!! Some people just know it all!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms near elevator are noisy
1  Thank Lunchlady88
Steve C, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Orlando - Disney Springs Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

Dear Lunchlady88:

Thank you for your review and we are so sorry that your experience at our hotel was not as expected. We don't expect this type of experience either. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this caused you and the family but also pleased to hear the hotel team on duty responded to your satisfaction.

I agree that it is our responsibility to keep "nature" out of the guest suites and we do work hard it. There is a robust program in place to treat for pests and uninvited guests. We always report these to our vendor as well as training our staff on how best to ensure we are doing all we can to prevent these types of incidents from occurring.

This truly is the exception and I'm sorry this was you experience at the hotel. I do hope you provide another opportunity of a future stay in Orlando.

All the best,

Reviewed 3 July 2017

If you're looking for a hotel where you can spread out the Doubletree is your place. Great size rooms! The service at this hotel is top notch. Tony at breakfast is excellent and the Omelettes are made to order. The waitstaff is amazing. Every single day we were greeted warmly and promptly by the waiters. Breakfast was more like what you would expect at a Marriott, such a great value for the price! We have two kids a boy and a girl who definitely don't want to share a bed, so this worked out perfectly having a fold out bed in the living room and two queens. My only suggestion would be that sometimes the buses were not on time or were very overcrowded. When you're coming back from Disney World the last thing you want to do is have to stand up the entire way back to the hotel and be crammed in like sardines. So I would suggest more buses, especially at the end of the day. My other suggestion would be to allow people to bring their own food and drink into the pool area. Your guests have already spent a fortune at Disney World on the food and drinks so it would be nice for you to be able to use stuff right out of your own fridge instead of having to purchase cokes for your kids at $3.50 at the pool. Overall though great value for the amenities in my opinion. I stayed at the Polynesian so I've done the deluxe luxury hotels as well. Personally I'd rather spend my money on other stuff you're only in the room a short time each day!Not that I'm complaining about the rooms they were actually excellent, we had more room than we had in the Polynesian. If you have a little kids and then it might be worth it to stay closer to the parks.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
2  Thank Amy H
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights. Room quiet, clean, well appointed. Tons of room. Picked site as no resort fee yet convenient to parks. Rooms appear recently renovated. Nice decor. Small fridge, microwave , separate living and bedroom. Be aware if traveling with others that door to bedroom is a frosted glass barn door. No lock and light goes through, semi private. Ok if not needing privacy. Restaurant food good but limited choices if looking for lighter fare. Bus to parks nice but be aware that at night the busses are very crowded and take about an hour with several stops. Nice hotel, reasonable rates and excellent compared to some others at higher price. Staff pleasant and helpful. Can buy Disney tickets on premises which is nice. Happy with stay.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Jlmay2
Reviewed 2 July 2017

Having the breakfast voucher made the mornings a breeze and the transportation provided to the four parks was extremely helpful. All of the staff was very helpful and friendly and I would stay here again if I were to visit the area again.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed 27 June 2017

I will give the disclaimer that my family and I prefer luxury accommodations when possible. Due to the Walford Astoria not having availability for the length of our vacation, we opted to split our time between the WA and the Doubletree Suites near Disney Springs. This was a mistake, as we are huge fans of the WA. We thought the fact that our room here was a 2-BR would make up for the downgrade in accommodations, but that simply wasn't the case.

The rooms are clean but very basic. We did have an issue where there was no hot water for several hours. There are no nice amenities here, and the pool is subpar. The interstate is both visible and audible when at the pool. Likewise, there is no poolside restaurant or bar. This is a basic hotel and nothing more.

I should have done more due diligence, but we have had fantastic experiences at other Doubletrees, which have a higher-end feel. This place is plain Jane.

The transportation to Disney was inconsistent and never on-time. The property is 1 mile away from Disney Springs, and we are a very active family, so we found it more convenient to walk. Likewise, when you get dropped off at Disney Springs by the resort transportation, its at the West End, not the Marketplace, so you end up walking a mile regardless.

I will add that the service was exceptional; the wait staff in the restaurant were all amazing.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Steve C, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Orlando - Disney Springs Area, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Dear Shannon:

Thank you for your feedback and so sorry to read that the hotel was not to your satisfaction. I do appreciate you putting in the disclaimer that you typically stay at our sister brand, Waldorf Astoria. We like them too. Hard to compare though. Our pool does have a bar which offers beverages and food and is open daily 11:30 AM - 5:00 PM (weather permitting).

Thank you for mentioning the restaurant staff. They are an amazing team. We receive so many positive comments on how well they service our breakfast guests.

All the best,