“Best food”

Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: African
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Jiko – The Cooking Place fuses the bold flavors of traditional African, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.Twin wood-burning ovens roar and the soothing, warm colors of an African sunset bring energy to this remarkable restaurant. The menu features modern cuisine with an African flair. Delight your palate with dishes that change seasonally, such as braised short ribs, Chermoula-roasted prawns, and Peri Peri roasted chicken, along with conventional favorites. Take a culinary tour of Africa with tantalizing appetizers such as grilled wild boar tenderloin, crispy beef bobotie roll and brick oven-fired flatbreads. Watch the chefs prepare each meal in The Cooking Place, a show kitchen with a rich atmosphere befitting the beauty of this unique restaurant. Jiko also offers 2 tantalizing wine-and-dine experiences: Jiko Wine Dinner Series: Four times a year, Jiko partners with renowned winemakers from South Africa to take you on a culinary journey. The chefs prepare a 6- to 8-course meal carefully designed to complement the unique characteristics of the African terroir. As you dine, the winemakers paint a picture of their vineyards through the taste of their wines—and Jiko's Wine Room transforms into a mixture of flavors, friends, aromas and conversations that go into the night.Jiko Wine Tastings: Every Wednesday, explore the South African wine regions as you taste unique wines paired with artisanal cheese.Whether you're seeking a decadent wine dinner or a vibrant accompaniment to your meal, Jiko offers wine options to suit your style.
Reviewed 29 February 2012

This place has the best food. The price is a bit on the high side but the food is just out of this world.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

After reading many TA reviews and the #2 rating at the time, we were a little disappointed in Jiko. It was very good but not so sure it was excellent.
When I go into a fine dining establishment, I expect to be able to wait in the bar area. However, there are only 5 seats at the bar and you either had to wait out in the hall of the hotel or at a table near the entrance. It was very noisy in that area.
Our table was a bit more quiet but if I return I would ask for a table in the back of the restaurant. Our group of three started with the Taste of Africa dips appetizer as well as the African-spiced Fire-roasted Chicken flatbread, both recommended by our server. The dips were good and the accompanying house made Naan better. We very much enjoyed the flatbread but the Naan with the dips, the flatbread and the complimentary house bread were just too many carbs at one time. Next time I would substitute the Wild Boar or Artisanal Cheese appetizers for the dips.
For our entrees we chose the Coffee-rubbed Black Grouper and the Maize-covered Corvina. We found the grouper to be a healthy portion and a very imaginative dish with the coffee crust. The corvina was also excellent and was shared by my friend and I.
As a splurge, we had the Cheesecake and it was the bomb! Rich, beautiful, elegant and over the top finish to a good meal.
TIPS:
Ask for a table in back.
Make sure not to overload on carbs.
Go early and see the wildlife viewing area behind the hotel. All ages will enjoy it.

1  Thank Denise L
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Glad we stumbled upon this South African restaurant while visiting Disney. Superb food, delicious pinotage, excellent ambiance and great service. Other than being a bit pricy, it was perfect! Recommend the grouper, beet salad and bread pudding. Cheers!

Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful meal on our recent family vacation to Disney. The server was extremely attentive, helpful and friendly. The atmosphere was modern and quiet, a nice escape from all of the Disney madness! Everything we tried was incredibly tasty. Don't miss Jiko!

Reviewed 25 February 2012

I have never had African food before and we were so pleased with Jikos. The food was so full of flavor....great spices. The South African tea selection was wonderful. I got a vanilla flavored tea after dinner which was delightful. The ambiance is great. I love the changing lights which simulate sunrise to sunset. We will definitely be back. It was worth the money and I believe one of the best signature dining restaurants at Disney World.

1  Thank mmb0027