“Guinness Steak and Cheese”

The Broken Barrel Tavern
Ranked #4 of 153 Restaurants in Palm Bay
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch
Reviewed 27 June 2017

When I lived in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area a few years ago, The Broken Barrel was one of my favorite places to eat and drink. It had been a couple years since I last visited so I was eager to stop by on a recent trip to the area. The bar specializes in craft beer and has 41 taps and over 100 bottles to choose from. The food menu is primarily barbecue, sandwiches, wings and other types of bar food. One of my favorites is the Guinness Steak and Cheese. The sandwich is on a toasty bun and filled with tender beef, melty Swiss cheese, and grilled onions and peppers.

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

Why is EVERYTHING around here so outrageously expensive? I went in after a few years away from town and will admit it was cleaner than I remember. Ordered a 12 ounce bottle of Shiner Bock... $5.00 plus tax! I could've walked across the street, gone to Publix, and got a six pack for $9 and tax, or gone downtown and got a 16 ounce draft for $4.50. I looked at the food menu and got sticker shock, everything was way more expensive than Orlando or even Tampa. If the management will rejoin the real world, realize we're in hick town Palm Bay and start pricing things reasonably, I might go back.

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

We had excellent service, delicious ribs, lots of beer choices. Not fancy but fun and satisfying
Would go back- did not get to try the cornbread this trip!

Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

I had lunch here with my adult son. We started with the smoked wings, which were very good (and at a reduced price during lunch!). We both got ribs as an entree - mine was a basket, his was a platter. Curiously, mine were tiny, and his were big - totally different bones, but nothing was mentioned on the menu about them being different cuts. The menu only mentions St. Louis-style spare ribs. I had 5 tiny ribs and fries for $10.99, which I think was a little high for what I got. My son, on the other hand, got a great value with the 2 lb. platter - so many ribs we had to get a doggie bag (even with me sharing a few), with 2 sides and texas toast. They offer a nice choice of included sides, plus a few more as upgrades, so there's something for everyone. We got our wings and ribs without sauce, because we wanted to try them as is, but they have many sauces to dip or smother. We'll definitely go back.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

The Tavern is located in a strip mall and first impressions going in were of a glorified pool hall. Multiple tables, along with poker games are the first thing you see. The bar is large with an adjacent seating area. Nothing fancy but as a smokehouse it's what we expected.

We attempted to order drinks and many of the brands of rum listed on their menu were not available. They have a great selection of bottled and draft beer, their wine choices consist of four varieties of Salmon Creek.

We started with the pulled rib egg rolls which were very, good, a standard egg roll filled with rib meat and slaw, a nice twist. I had the duo of pulled rib and pulled chicken. Both were dry with choice of sauce on the side. Both were smoked and held the flavor but were dry and chewy. My sides of BBQ baked beans and Asian potato salad were both very good.

The other meal ordered was the mani magi which was overlooked past edible. It went uneaten and was removed from the tab.

Our server Nancy was very good, it was a pleasure speaking with her. We'll be in the area several times a year and this won't warrant a return visit.