“Best Fried Fish, Authentic Irish Bar”

The Celtic Ray Public House
Ranked #3 of 163 Restaurants in Punta Gorda
Price range: US$2 - US$17
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: FAILTE! [WELCOME!] The Celtic Ray Public House in downtown Punta Gorda opened in 1997 by Proprietor Kevin Doyle. At the time there wasn’t a single establishment in the area that offered a variety of quality imported beers and the atmosphere of a traditional Irish Pub. We serve only high-quality imported draught beers, bottled beers, ciders, fine wines, as well as, a selection of “soft” beverages. We also have expanded with the ‘other side’ and now have a full liquor bar! Our menu features traditional Irish Pub favorites made from fresh ingredients and family recipes. The Celtic Ray’s Fish & Chips are famous worldwide! See you at the Ray, Slainte!
Reviewed 2 January 2017

We stopped by Celtic Ray on the way to the airport for lunch. Their fish and chips was one of the best I have ever had! It is an authentic Irish restaurant so you order food and drinks at the bar and sit at tables. There was also a good beer selection too. I would definitely go back for the fish! I would guess it gets very busy during dinner time.

Max D, Public Relations Manager at The Celtic Ray Public House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2017

Good Morning Abigail,

Thank you for your review on our pub; we appreciate the feedback. We were happy to hear you found our pub on the way to the airport, and that you enjoyed the fish and chips. We hope to have you back in here if you're ever passing through again. Safe travels to you, and Happy New Year!

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

A good place for drinks. The food is good IF you can order it. While the two sisters are very nice, they need another bartender. We planned to order food there, but it took so long just to get the bartender's attention and drinks to us, we decided to go someplace else. We watched another couple come in and sit down nobody tended to them and they left. This is a fantastic place if they could only have more staff to help them. The live music is also very good. You may want to pack your own lunch.

Max D, Public Relations Manager at The Celtic Ray Public House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2017

Good Morning Michael,

Thank you for your review on our pub; we appreciate you leaving us the feedback, because it lets us know which areas we are striving, and which areas we need to work on. Our pub was short staffed with bartenders on Sunday; we usually have more than two bartenders on, but that still is no excuse for you to be ignored, or not paid attention to. I am happy to hear that you enjoy the drinks, food, and music here; we appreciate the positive review on these things even though your last visit wasn't up to our regular standards. I hope that you decide to come back and give us another try, and I would like to buy you and whomever you came up here with a drink on me. Thank you again for your review, and I hope you have a Happy New Year!

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

Super quick service at 11:45am on Sunday. Had the Fish and Chips and a Guinness. Fish was light and crispy.

Thank you for your short and sweet review; we appreciate the feedback! We hope to have you back in here soon for a pint {or two}. Have a wonderful Monday, and we hope you have a Happy New Year.

Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

So, for my birthday I got to choose the spot. We had never been here but, I always wanted to stop. Great food, great service and a happy birthday for me. I wish they would have had entertainment last night. Maybe on the next stop. Wait, thinking of New years 2016. Can I find an Uber??

Max D, Public Relations Manager at The Celtic Ray Public House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2016

Good Morning,

We wanted to thank you for your review on our pub; we appreciate the feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your birthday {and first time} here. We usually have entertainment 4 times a week {Thursday-Sunday}, but keep an eye out once January hits, because we will have entertainment on some Mondays and Tuesdays as well. New Years Eve you should most definitely be able to find an Uber in the area. We hope to see you again soon, and we hope you had a very happy birthday! Happy New Years to you and yours.

Reviewed 27 December 2016 via mobile

If you need good food late at night amidst a fun atmosphere, go here and get the fish and chips. It's fun, casual, usually has a band and good crowd. I'd go back and I was surprised that they were open until 2 in Punta Gorda.

Max D, Public Relations Manager at The Celtic Ray Public House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2016

Good Morning,

We wanted to thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are happy to hear that you'll be back, and that you enjoyed the food and atmosphere here. We hope you have a wonderful Christmas, and we hope you have a very Happy New Year!