“Highly recommended hotel on I-95 near St Augustine FL”

Ranked #22 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 15 January 2018

My wife and I stayed here the week before Christmas and were very pleased with the overall quality and value. This property has recently been totally renovated so everything is like new. The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean, the be and linens were good quality and very comfortable. The TV, microwave, frig were all new. HVAC worked well as did the free wifi. Bath room fixtures - all new. The free continental breakfast was standard for this type hotel - food was good. They have a guest laundry with 2 washers, 2 dryers, a small workout room weights and a couple of exercise machines. The pool is very nice. In essence, EVERYTHING was nice.
But here are a couple of things to know: 1) the lobby is very small, too small to house the front desk and the breakfast area at peek times. I had to wait in line for the coffee machine and could not find a place sit. 2) There is no elevator - if you have mobility issues don't get a 2nd floor room - some of the rooms require a significant walk from your car.
Overall, compared to hotels in this price range and while everything is still new, I give it an Excellent rating.

Room Tip: Get a first floor room facing the pool at the end away from the office (it's closer to parking a...
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelerRAP
Ryan W, General Manager at Smart Stay Inn of St. Augustine, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear TravelerRAP,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to review our property during your most recent stay with us.

We appreciate you complimenting the cleanliness of our hotel along with the hospitality provided to you by our staff. They all work hard to keep the property clean while maintaining a sunny disposition. Our property owner put a lot of time and money into making the property what you see today, so the least we can do is maintain the like new conditions. We are currently working on building an addition on to the back end of the breakfast room for additional breakfast seating. We appreciate you staying with us and for your understanding in regards to the breakfast room and not having an elevator. We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Renovated, remodeled 2 story motel is a hidden gem. Clean colorful rooms with very large flat TV, fridge, microwave, free WiFi, fitness room, outdoor pool. Continental breakfast had eggs, sausage, cereals, etc. Very reasonable rates. Through Hotels.com we got a deal for $52 a night. Motel is on the southeast corner of I-95 and US 16. It is somewhat tricky to find, sitting behind a Shell gas station and Comfort Inn. Quieter rooms are away from the interstate. No elevator, only steps to second floor.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Pnemiller,

We appreciate you complimenting the the renovations our hotel has undertaken recently and the cleanliness of our hotel. We all work hard to keep the property clean and welcoming for our incoming guests. Thank you for explaining to all of our potential guests the trickiness of finding our hotel, we are currently working with the city to get an additional sign location approved but so far have had no such luck. Thank you very much for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 12 January 2018

Years ago we stayed here and were amazed at the improvements and upgrades made. Rooms facing I 95 may have some traffic noise but we were on the far side and quiet prevailed. Clean conveniently arranged rooms with quiet, effective heat. Located only seven miles from historic St. Augustine, and that is accessible with a free shuttle service. The staff told us of this service and it is very useful as there is limited parking in town. The breakfast was perhaps the most pleasant surprise as all the many offerings were fresh and varied. Great improvement - fun stay.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Ryan W, General Manager at Smart Stay Inn of St. Augustine, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2018

Dear johnsI9946UT,

We appreciate you complimenting the vast renovations this property has undertaken the past year and a half. Our owner put a lot of time and money into bringing this property back to life and now it is up to us to keep it looking nice and inviting for our guests. Thank you for mentioning our free hot breakfast that is served fresh each morning, our staff works hard to keep the property clean and the breakfast food plentiful. We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

I must say that the staff is very kind for the most part, especially the housekeeper at check in. Upon checking in, we went to the room and quickly left our bags, as we had an appointment to keep. Upon returning to the room, we were very upset to see that the room was filthy. The toilet was not clean, floors were dirty and the dresser was so dusty. Called the front desk and asked her to see it for herself. She was very nice as I pointed out about 8 different locations that needed attention. She repeatedly apologized and I told her I was extremely uncomfortable about staying in the hotel. She offered another room and I explained I needed to see it first. It was rather late, and although the room was better, it was just tolerable. The next morning we told them we would not be staying the second night. They did refund our money in full, which was the right thing to do. Little disappointing however when the front desk guy told me I was looking in the corners, and that they only clean behind the heavy furniture every 2 weeks because it is too heavy for the girls to move the furniture. That amount of filth doesn't happen in 2 weeks, besides, grab a broom with a long handle and get behind there daily! My husband and I travel frequently, I have never seen a filthier room. Do yourself a favor and stay at the Comfort Inn next door. Super clean, great breakfast and great beds!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Ryan W, General Manager at Smart Stay Inn of St. Augustine, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Dear lynnie8,

We apologize for our hotel not meeting/exceeding your expectations during your recent stay with us. We have already addressed the staff in regards to the issues listed in your response. We apologize for you having had a negative experience at our facility and wanting to find alternative lodging. Our staff works hard to keep the hotel clean on a daily basis and they take great pride in their work. We hope that you have better luck with your travel accommodations in the future.

Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

Wonderful! Newly remodeled. Staff is terrific. Stayed from Thursday Dec 28th til Jan 2. Recommend to all. Beds are super comfortable and although right off 95, very quiet. People at front desk very friendly and accommodating. Please check this place out, you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Ryan W, General Manager at Smart Stay Inn of St. Augustine, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2018

Dear Scudge,

We appreciate you complimenting the the renovations our hotel has undertaken in the past along with the great service provided by our staff. They work hard to ensure our guests are in a clean and comfortable environment, doing so with a smile on their face. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay and hope that we will see you again in the future.