“Food was great.....service was just plain awful!”

The Tides Oyster Co. & Grill
Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

Our family of 9 walked into this establishment at 8:15 on a Wednesday night...we initially planned to go to Sunset Grille but really wanted to try something new. We have been visiting St. Augustine every summer for about 20 years now and this was our first time eating at The Tides Oyster Co. We walked into the restaurant/bar and there was a sign that said please seat yourself. We didn’t see any recognizable employees so we just found a table big enough and sat down. About three minutes later a waitress walked over and threw some menus down. She appeared mad that we were there and never introduced herself. We attempted to make small talk but she wasn’t having it. We were told the kitchen didn’t close until 10 so we were unsure if us walking in at 8 made her mad or if that was just her personality. The food (every single thing we ordered) was wonderful but I have never felt so uncomfortable at a restaurant. There was screaming in the kitchen loud enough that we understood someone say “let’s get cleaned up and get the f$&k out of here. “. Every question or comment to the waitress was met with a one word reply and the replies were rude. We finished our dinner quickly, paid the bill and hurried out. My niece left something in the restaurant so my daughter went back to get it. My daughter walked up on our waitress and another waitress talking about us and how we interrupted “their cleaning”. My family is a very generous and loving family and regardless of her treatment of us, we left a great tip in hopes of improving her night. Don’t think I will ever return here regardless of how great the food was. If I owned this establishment, I would definitely insist on better customer service....with the delicious food as well as a great wait staff, they could be one of the best restaurants/bars in St. Augustine. Lexie, Lily....still unsure of her name and even the bartender apparently didn’t know it....hope your night got better after we left!

Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

Wow! We were on visit from Missouri and wanted to find a different place to eat than a chain or normal beach restaurant. When walking in you think it’s just a bar which I’m all honesty it is, however it does not feel that way! We sat a large booth with our three kids and the experience was awesome! They had a live band playing that wasn’t overly loud, my 2 year old daughter even went down and danced! The food was awesome and the beer prices during their happy hour are fantastic! We had the seafood platter and that was some of the best shrimp I have ever had! Left very happy and very full!

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Average food at best. Service was excellent. Seemed more like a bar than a restaurant (could smell the beer spilled on the floor).

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Haven't been here for many years! My husband and I went for "Burgers and Beers Week". Service was great, the burgers were delicious! Gouda cheese, Canadian Bacon, fried egg, avocado, with Datil sauce on an everything bagel. The restaurant itself could use some updating, but it is reminiscent of the " old Florida beach bars" (kind of scruffy)!

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Nobody!
First I will say that I have worked in the food and beverage industry. Everybody has a bad service now and then. Except for when it happens usually a manager, a server, somebody will stop by and apologize and ask if they can do something to make your experience better. This did not happen. At all. There were four of us. We ordered the oysters Casino, roasted, and Rockefeller. Those came out within 15 minutes. Great start. 1 hour and 15 minutes later the main dish of a cheeseburger came out. Then 10 minutes later some bacon wrapped scallops. 10 minutes later the stuffed shrimp. Another 5 minutes went by and my blue cheese dressing showed up for my sweet and spicy shrimp. But no shrimp. I could tell the servers were frustrated because of the cursing that was going on into the kitchen. However we were a very polite table and didn't say anything. When it came time to pay the check it took another 15 minutes. It was incredible that no one came to our table. We left 20% on about $100 tab. As we got up to leave one of the servers finally asked how everything was. And I politely let her no my opinion. She then explained that somebody's truck broke down and they only had one cook. It would have been nice if they would have offered a free dessert or something maybe a discount off the tab but nothing was said. The oysters Casino we're okay the Rockefeller was terrible and I give the roasted oysters about a 5 out of 10. The bacon-wrapped scallops were good. And the sweet and spicy shrimp were good. I had to give the restaurant a to because it is important for me to let them know that somebody should have done something. Good luck next time however, I doubt there will be one

1  Thank 455michaelvictor