“Food just OK, good service and location”
Review of St. George Cantina

St. George Cantina
Price range: US$1 - US$12
Description: SGC Latin Kitchen was born out of a passion + love for Latin cuisine.... The Latin inspired menu adapts the culinary heritage of Mexico and Latin America to a fresh modern style. In the open kitchen guests can watch savory dishes being prepared, while free range Jidori chickens roast to perfection and tacos are topped with homemade fire-roasted salsas. In the lounge the lively sound of handcrafted
Reviewed 21 July 2018

Nice to be able to get something other than fried seafood in the area, but it's not really Mexican food. The best thing we had was called a Flauta but was basically a rolled quesadilla with a lot of melted cheese and some chicken in it. Also, the menu doesn't indicate that their margaritas are made with a wine based "tequila."

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Went twice with my family during a two week stay on the island. The food was delicious. I had the fish tacos both times. My family liked the other kinds of tacos as well, and the guacamole was excellent. Staff (server and kitchen manager) were great too.

The only downside was that their posted hours online are inconsistent, so we tried going twice when it wasn’t open (Sunday and Monday).

Go support this new business and eat some really good food!

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

We’re always excited for a new restaurant option on the island during our summer visit so had to try the Cantina! It’s a cozy, family friendly cantina that looks and feels nothing like the former restaurant that was there. The service is fast and friendly and was very patient with our table order, questions and requests (7 of us including some picky). The highlight for us was the tacos which by default are served street style with soft tortilla. Polla Tinga tacos (pulled chicken) were really tasty and juicy. The menu is a little confusing because they have more options than it appears - tacos can be substituted for burritos or taco bowls. We had some of all - the taco bowls were as expected but the burrito was dry for our taste. Go with tacos! The rice and black beans side is really good. As for kids menu it’s limited. Our group only likes chicken fingers which they don’t have. They ordered tacos but not for them. But they did love the cheese dip. We probably won’t be back as a group this week but I would enjoy returning for guacamole and tacos myself. Hope this place sticks around but they do need to add some chicken fingers or other traditional items for the little ones.

Reviewed 11 July 2018

Service was great, food fair! Building was attractive, casual dining, plastic utensils and skimpy food orders in paper baskets. Has potential .

Reviewed 10 July 2018

I have seen a few negative reviews but I took my two older daughters one evening for an early dinner and we shared nachos and each ordered a different item from the menu to include taco bowls and tacos and everyone enjoyed them. I noticed someone mentioned the salsa was not good but we actually liked it. It is a more blended type salsa but I prefer that to huge chunks so I think that is a matter of individual taste so maybe they could offer both types. Our chips seemed fresh though I do prefer the lighter and thinner chips.

The biggest disappointment for me was that the margaritas are wine but maybe they will get a license at some point in the future to have real tequilla margaritas. I did order one the first time and asked for low sugar so it really wasn't bad.

The second time I thought my husband would like to try it so we went and he had beer with fish tacos and liked everything. We ordered cheese dip which was not on the menu but I knew they had it because of nachos the time before. I had the brisket tacos and they were very tender and good. I did not take a photo as I had them leave off the onions and carrots. I did have my husband take a photo of his tacos and I had alredy split some of the rice/beans so the portion pictured is actually smaller. He also had already had his side salad but at least you get a photo other than the original shown.

My only regret the second time was ordering a margarita and thinking it would be like the first one but it was way too sweet. I forgot to ask for less of the mix though.

I hope they do well. If so, it will be a great addition to the island which has limited choices.