“Delicious food, pricey, but worth the trip”

Heinrich's German Grill
Ranked #34 of 1,066 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: German
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Open for Dinner: TUESDAY - SATURDAY 5:00-CLOSE . Serving traditional german home made food, fresh from scratch
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We are part-time Sarasota residents from Chicago and we found this restaurant on Trip Advisor and the reviews were good so we went and it was wonderful!

I agree with other reviewers that the menu is pricey but if you go to German restaurants in Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincinnatti, and other cities you will see that Heinrich's prices are similar although the specials are very overpriced. Just be prepared when you go so you are not shocked.

The food is quality and fresh. Some of the German dishes like the Rouladen, potato pancakes, goulash, spaetzel are authentic and flavorful. Coming from a German background I know how long it takes to prepare many of the dishes and you can tell that care has been taken to make them right.

The beer and wine selections are great and nothing goes better with good German food than a cold foamy draft beer. The choices will make any beer lover happy.

The schnitzel is good, have the veal preparations, but in my estimation, try one of the other dishes -- try something different .

17  Thank T F

Reviewed 16 February 2012

We visited Heinrich's German Grill on a recent Friday night and had no problem finding a table. That should have been a clue. While the food was decent, traditional German fare, the prices were out of line. The standard entree price was about $25. The waiter suggested a special (a pork dish), and when we asked how much - $34!! I don't know if Heinrich is importing special German pigs or what.
Dinner for two - chosing two of the lower priced entrees, one shared appetizer, and one shared dessert and no drinks (except for a sparkling water) came to $76 before tip. During this visit to Sarasota we had two other dinners which were better and cost almost half the price.

2  Thank Isabel51
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We drove from Northport for a birthday dinner. We really didn't know what to expect. Very nice decor, great selection of beer and awesome food. I wanted one of everything on the menu. I am very happy with what I ordered.. Defiantly try the Three Brats and Saurbraten.

23  Thank FLInsurance
Reviewed 2 February 2012

This was our first visit, but NOT our last. We loved EVERYTHING about the place. The food was the best we've eaten outside of Germany. The staff was very friendly and the ambiance was very nice.

Can't wait to go back. We live in Ft. Myers, and it is a two hour drive for us, but we do love to go to Sarasota, it is our get a way place. We shall be back!!!

23  Thank Diana B
Reviewed 12 January 2012

The restaurant is tucked away in a Walmart plaza (but not too hard to find). When my wife and I arrived at 6:00 pm on a Wednesday night, we were immediately asked if we had reservations (which I would suggest). Since we didn't, we were "worked in" and seated within 10-15 minutes.

The food tasted very good and seemed to be authentic German. The German draft beer and wine selections were also good. My only complaint was that it seemed the prices were higher than I was expecting to pay. I guess my comparison is based upon an excellent German restaurant in Columbus, OH (Schmidt's Sausage House) which offers just as good (and authentic) German good but for less. For example, the cost of the "all you can eat buffet" at Schmidt's is the same cost that Heinrich's charged for a basic (2 braut with sides) dinner.

20  Thank BGSU80