“Excellent Steak Without sticker shock!”

PRIME-Serious Steak
Ranked #132 of 1,153 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$18 - US$40
Description: A classic steakhouse with a contemporary feel, Prime features a piano bar, a low temperature cut room, where the guests can view the on-premise butcher hand cut 28 day aged steaks and an open kitchen.
Reviewed 22 July 2017

I recently tried PRIME Serious Steak at 8201 South Tamiami Trail in Sarasota, FL. Our foursome was greeted by the waitress, Casey, who brought us drinks and complimentary popovers and explained the menu choices. She was patient, funny, and very helpful. The ladies split the $30 for two Special. One got the salmon and the other got the sirloin. Both came with unlimited salad and popovers and one side each followed by a split dessert. I got the 12 oz prime rib medium rare and my brother-in-law got the filet mignon rare. The steaks were very high quality. We all agreed we had just had the best steak dinner in recent history without choking on the price. The wine selection was also very reasonable. We would highly recommend carnivores try Prime Serious Steak for a pleasant surprise. It appears that the chain has an "in" with suppliers of the top 3% of dry-aged beef in the U.S.

2  Thank Douglas D

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Ashton was our server and she was helpful and attentive without being overbearing.
The summer weekday deal they have going on is a steal. $30 for endless salad and popovers, 2 entrees with sides, and a dessert.
The food was not perfect, but good enough for the deal.
We enjoyed the salad and sides more than the actual entrees. The steak came out more well done than med well (I know, who expects a steak to be good if it isn't at the very least medium, but I'm pregnant and trying to make sure all my meats are thoroughly cooked).
The stuffed chicken was ok. The stuffing inside was good, but there was no evidence of the promised goat cheese.
For sides we got the twice baked potato, mac and cheese, and an extra side of broccoli. The twice baked potato was the best of the three.
We'll definitely be back and try some other menu items.

1  Thank tam1126
Reviewed 17 July 2017

I'll start with the positive part:
1 The food was excellent. There were 4 of us and each of us had a wonderful meal.
We dine regularly at all of the "high end" steakhouses (Ruth's Chris, Flemings, Hyde Park) and the steaks and veal chop were better than what we've eaten at any of those.
2. The menu was full of wonderful options.
3. The prices were at least 1/2 of what you would see at the aforementioned steakhouses; initially we were concerned that the quality and taste would not be as good. No need to be concerned the entrees and sides, as well as the popovers and salads were scrumptious.
4. Lexie, our server (we sat at a table in the bar) was very attentive and pleasant.
5. The decor is as nice as any steakhouse we've been to. We like to dine in the bar area and this one was large, warm and comfortable ... again, as nice if not nicer than the area steakhouses.
So, you are probably wondering "what could possible be the not so positive part"?
Here it is:
1. You could not tell if the restaurant was open for business. They have black out shades because of the strong Florida sun, so you see no lights from the exterior. There was no way to know. We had to get out of the car (before we parked) and try the door to make sure it was open.
You would think they could come up with a way to make the entrance more inviting/appealing and make it clear the place was open. We almost drove away thinking it was closed. When we realized it was open, we were a little suspect of what we would find considering the bleak exterior. When we walked inside we were pleasantly surprised.
2. The bar area, though beautiful, had many tables that had not been bussed and the bar itself had used glasses etc. sitting on the bar the entire time we were there. At one point, I asked Lexie (our server), if she would not mind asking that the tables around us be cleaned up. She was pleasant and said absolutely. They were cleaned, and new place settings put out and the bar area took on a completely different aesthetic.

I can't explain why that would be acceptable by management in such a nice place.
I can only surmise that there was no manager on premises. I hate to think that the restaurant is doing poorly and they can not afford to have enough staff. If this restaurant closes down, it will not be because the food or the service was not good; because both were excellent. Perhaps the location can't sustain it. If not, please move a little further up the road to the downtown area. Your food is really good and a very good value.

2  Thank Gigi S
Reviewed 17 July 2017

My wife and I each had the 8 oz. sirloin steaks and they were the absolute best steaks we have ever experienced. We are in our 70's and have eaten in some of the finest steakhouses throughout the country and Prime Serious Steak is at the top of the list. Michael, our server provided 5 star service as he is a well seasoned professional server having been trained in some of the finest restaurants in Atlantic City. And once again we would like to mention Kelsey who is the BEST hostess on the Westcoast of Florida.

3  Thank 431don
Reviewed 16 July 2017

My wife and I have been going to Prime since the day it opened. We have always been served great meals. We have never been disappointed. Yesterday evening we ate at Prime, being served by Terri, and we had the best Fillets ever.
Prime-Serious Steaks is the kind of restaurant you recommend to your friends, and bring your out-of-town guests. BTW, Terri did a great job serving us.

2  Thank glamourbyjim