“Great food and good value”
Review of The Gafford

The Gafford
Reserve with OpenTable
The Gafford is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 297 Restaurants in Stuart
Price range: US$8 - US$33
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Casual meets Upscale. Local seafood, meats and vegetables prepared fresh daily. Fun and upbeat atmosphere with great hospitality
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It’s refreshing to go to a trendy place that isn’t over priced. The food here is consistently good and the eclectic menu includes fan favorites like meat loaf and fried chicken. If you want something more on the high end side you can surely get that as well as they have nightly specials for the more sophisticated culinary geeks. I enjoyed the meat loaf while my daughter had the fried chicken breasts. My wife had the crab cake appetizer as an entree and said they were just so so however she has become somewhat of a crab cake snob since she makes the best ones I have ever had. My mother in law had the sweet potato entree which she absolutely loved. Jeanine, our server was spot on with her service, suggestions and efficiency. The only hiccup was from the hostess who sat us at a combination table and then came back and made us move so she could separate the tables in order to squeeze in two more diners.

2  Thank desbiel .

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had been eating seafood all week and had a hankering for some steak. The Gafford did not disappoint. We chose the porcini rubbed creek stone hanger steak with mushroom Madeira creme sauce and the beef filet mignon. Both were cooked perfectly and were so flavorful it’s hard to put into words how good they both tasted.
Each came with garlic confit mashed Yukons and green beans. We are still talking about it and can’t wait to go back!

1  Thank Meme5086
Rick W, Owner at The Gafford, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Meme5086,
Thank you so much for your business and for taking the time to let the TA community know about your visit. I am pleased that you were chose us and happy with your experience. We hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,
Rick

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is our third visit to THE GAFFORD. I haven't been disappointed in a dining experience there yet! Last night was the first time my husband and I decided to
dine at THE GAFFORD as just the two of us. Our reservation was for 6:00 PM.
We were seated right next to the opening to the bar area at a two-top. In the bar area customers can eat 1/2 price appetizers from 4:00-5:00, and have drinks from 4:00-7:00. Being the bar area it was a noisy place to put us. Because of the hour, most of the other tables were empty. We just assumed all the other tables would be full by
the time we left. There were still several empty tables, which would have been much
better. The hostess used very poor choice seating us at that table, as it should have
been the last table to be occupied! We were not pleased. The food was fine. We both ordered fish dishes and they were nicely prepared and tasty. Our Tuna Tartare was delicious! The timing of serving our courses was too rushed. Within 5 minutes of ordering, our appetizer arrived, and as soon as we finished our appetizer, our entrees came! We only finished 1/2 of our bottle of wine, and took it home with us. We were
finished our meal in 35 minutes! This restaurant needs to learn how to pace the sequence of the courses. The time before this, the dishes were spaced out 30-40 minutes between each course. There is very little ambiance.

1  Thank Robin B
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Starting with the positive, the food was excellent. Well-prepared and of obvious good quality. Our waiter was friendly, attentive, and professional. It was a pleasure to sit down to the meal.

However.... given how popular and praised the Gafford is, my front-end experience was baffling. We arrived 6 minutes early for a 5 o'clock reservation mainly as a courtesy to the restaurant. The bar was full but the dining room was empty, although all of the tables were set. The host informed me that we couldn't be seated early. She told us "dining room opens at 5, that's out policy". Not "would you like to wait in the bar, would you like to look at the menu?" - just a curt - "that's our policy". Seriously. I am not kidding. It was rather like being at the DMV. The place was empty, the tables were ready and we had to stand in the entry area like idiots for EXACTLY 6 minutes. She stood at the podium and we stood in the way just... standing while the clock ticked down 6 minutes. Tick, tick, tick. Next stupid move - I asked if we could have a two-top that was not surrounded by tables that were set for big parties and was told that it had been requested by someone else and, therefore - no. Well, you guessed it, dear readers, after eating and settling up that little old table was still EMPTY. Whether because of a poorly trained staff person (unacceptable) or because the staff are rule-bound by policy and unable to make common-sense decisions on their own (not wise management), my experience just gaining entry to Gaffords was quite annoying. I am glad that I didn't have guests in tow for this visit - it would have been embarrassing.

I hate writing dunning reviews for a restaurant that otherwise was excellent, but the host makes the first impression and someone able to make customers feel welcome, while managing seating and flow is, IMO, important.

2  Thank 29Teddy
Rick W, Owner at The Gafford, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Teddy,
First, thank you so much for your visit and for taking the time to let us know of your experience. I am so sorry and embarrassed about the beginning of your experience and will personally do some more coaching on our end to ensure that does not happen again. We typically do not seat the dining room early, not as a policy but because we are still setting up tables and making final preparations to serve our guests. We certainly could have and should have sat you at a table in an area that was ready. I also apologize for not getting you to another table in a quieter area, I am not sure why we did not. We do have many specific table requests that we try to honor but do not guarantee as the ebb and flow of the business changes by the minute and it sounds like in this case that either the guest for that table did not show up on time or something changed. In either case our communication to you should have been a lot better. Please accept my apologies and I hope that the back end of your experience will bring you back to the Gafford.

Regards

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Waiter was very helpful offering up a combination meal he thought I would enjoy. He was great. Food was lacking. Sweet potato was loaded high, really couldn't get past the avocado salad, and was only 1/2 Of a potato. Fried chicken and gravy was cooked very well, just lacking in flavor. I sadly disappointed. Next time I will stick to a steak or the salmon, or a salad.

1  Thank DebJean25