“What a waste of a great location”

Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #68 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 October 2017

Don't judge the stay by the 1st floor conditions. When you walk in it looks great. Nice remodeled bar, restaurant and lobby. Easy concierge access and VERY friendly staff. Then you hit the elevator and it goes from Sheraton standards to a roadside motel. First impressions- the hallways are dark, there's visible damage to the walls and ceilings from improper ventilation. And it's so damp everywhere.

Our room was soaking wet. The ceiling cassette A/C doesn't dehumidify the air so it was turned all the way down to 65°. There were beer cans in the garbage and it smelled like a bar. We tried to get a little fresh air in there and could barely budge the sliding door open. The ceiling in the bathroom was really only holding on because of the paint. The self-serve coffee was not only stale but the creamer had gone bad. The doors do not have sound seals on the bottoms so all night long you can hear EVERYTHING happening on your floor. Doors slamming, people talking, people partying. And apparently if you have a private party there, you're allowed to reserve the entire pool area so none of the hotel guests can use it.

The only thing that saved this from being the worst hotel I've stayed in was the staff. The waiters and bartenders were extremely nice as was our check in/out clerks. This is not Sheraton standards by any stretch of the imagination. We will not be returning.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Andrew G, AFOM at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Dear palamedes79,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. Please accept my apology for the inconveniences you experienced.
I would like to make you aware our hotel is in the process of a multi-million dollar renovation. We have been renovating our guestrooms and have just put 100 “new” rooms back in service. This renovation will address the physical issues you experienced in the room you stayed in.
I am also sorry for the housekeeping issues you had. I have shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper for her to follow up with her staff.
Once again, thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed our service and do hope you will stay with us again in the future when you can experience our “new” hotel.
Best regards,
Jeff B.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,246)

Reviewed 22 October 2017

I'll be honest here I was travelling for work and being a government employee they typically stick us in the worst rooms possible because we have a ceiling we can pay. So, my room did NOT face the water (despite requesting it) nor did it really have what I would call "Sheraton" quality standards. Paint was pealing, no fridge, no microwave, distribution of bed area to desk area to clothes area needs massive upgrade. Tried to go to pool, well there was a "private party" so no pool. Learned later I could have access to next door hotel in these situations, but the employee was kinda rude to me when I was informed. MANAGEMENT - Just train people properly. The door on my balcony was so jacked up I had to take serious forearm action to open it; can't imagine if I was 50+. MANAGEMENT - Please fix. Decor, so outdated, but attempted to be modern; obvious. MANAGEMENT - Spend some money. Location is priceless. MANAGEMENT - Capitalize on your location and make the most of it. Had both a kid's homecoming as well as wedding/private party this weekend; fing sucked. Take home for MANAGEMENT - Stop being cheap, you have a HUGE resource of your location and investment in the damn place. IT JUST SEEMS CHEAP AND IT DOESN'T HAVE TO. I know you're "under a renovation", but every hotel is constantly and this place just needs some love. PLEASE DON'T WRITE SOME MANAGERIAL REPLY TO THIS SAYING "OH WE'RE SO SORRY BUT..." I DON'T NEED IT, BUT HERE'S THE THING YOU HAVE ONE CHANCE TO WIN ME AND YOU DIDN'T I WON'T BE STAYING HERE AND THE PEOPLE READING THIS WON'T AS WELL.

CHEERS

P.S. THE RESTAURANT ROCKS AND SO DOES THE BAR TENDER AND FOOD STAFF, EVERYONE ELSE D-.

OUT

Room Tip: Water side
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Mae the AM Restaurant Supervisor and Samantha from the Front Desk. Went above and beyond to fix a billing snafu from my company and a misunderstanding on my part from the restaurant.
It took some emails and and a little bit of time about an hour but in the end they were able to provide me with exactly what I needed and to resolve the billing issue.
I was provided receipts which I needed for reimbursement.
They turned around a fustrating experience and addressed all of my needs.
They should be commended.
You don't find that type of help in the service industry much, anymore.
Carla Miller Gill

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2017

My friend and I chose this hotel because it is on the Riverwalk and close to the Straz center. Upon arrival the valet was quick to help us, but then left us with the luggage cart to bring in ourselves. We asked for a room with a balcony overlooking the river. We got a room with no balcony facing the street. When I asked the receptionist if there was a chance we could change rooms she just looked at me and responded that they were all booked. The hotel is going to be completing a renovation soon, and it needs it! The room was old and dirty. The pool was nice but we had to wait for chairs to open. Thankfully someone was leaving right as we arrived. Overall, for the price of $250 for one night, I wish we would have gone elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Melissa L
Andrew G, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear Melissa L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay.
First of all, please accept my apology for the inconveniences you experienced. I have shared your comments with both our valet company and front office manager so they can use this as a training tool for their teams.

I am pleased to say that the first floor of our newly-renovated rooms will be put into service next week, with an additional floor to follow a week later, and the entire hotel anticipated to be done by mid-December. Our renovation will certainly correct many of the items you mentioned.

Once again, I am sorry that your stay was not more enjoyable. I hope you will give us another opportunity to better serve you if you return to Tampa again in the future.

Best regards,
Jeff B.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

We had a great stay and the most important part which is Guest ServiceCenter was amazing in particular two employees. Andrew who checked us in on October 1st around 9pm and helped us with our keys that did not work right away. He was friendly and welcoming. Marcus (sp) in valet parking was also great when my husband left his phone in the car and had to go back to get it. He had a great personality and was very helpful. Thank you!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple