“First time at a Sheraton”

Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #69 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The location and outside of the hotel looks great. The lobby is very nice and you would have expected the same with your room. The rooms are not that nice and patio could use a good cleaning. The view of this dirty looking canal was not what I was inspecting.

Room Tip: Do not request a room overlooking the canal
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Jeff B, General Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear 352MD,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am sorry we did not meet your expectation on this visit.

We are in the process of renovating our guestrooms, which is anticipated to be completed by the end of this year. This renovation will address the items you mentioned.

I am also sorry you did not enjoy the view of the river. Our guests are extremely complimentary of the view, and our access to the Riverwalk; I am sorry this was not what you were expecting.

I do hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you once our room renovation is completed.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Jeff B.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

Had booked 2 nights here but left several hours after checking in. I should’ve done better research to know the hotel was animal friendly. I have no issue with animal friendly but when I see dogs peeing in the lobby and halls I have an issue. My room was gross. Could tell it wasn’t cleaned properly as there were ring marks on the night stands and garbage in the cans. The hotel needs a major makeover! Don’t waste your money!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Jeff B, General Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Dear Denise D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit with us. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.

We recently hosted a small meeting of guests that had service dogs but were not aware that one/some of these dogs were improperly trained. Needless to say, a requirement for any guest bringing a dog with them is to have them properly trained – thank you for bringing this to our attention so we can follow up with the group chairperson.

I am also sorry for the condition of your room. Without having more specific information it appears you may have inadvertently gotten checked into a room that may have been put into service in error.

Once again, please accept my apology for the inconveniences you experienced. We are nearly halfway through our guestroom renovation and I do hope you will give us another opportunity if you return to Tampa again in the future.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

This hotel is need of a makeover. It is old and dingy and worst of all they are pet-friendly. My room smelled like a kennel. If you are going to be pet-friendly, you must make sure that you clean the rooms in a way to rid the room of any evidence of dogs. The restaurant was ok. The portion sizes were small and the prices were large. Its location was good as it sits on the river. I was promised a river view but my room was on the second floor and all I could see is the roof of the ground level of the hotel. The staff was friendly and attentive. Overall, this is not a hotel representative of the Marriott/Starwood brands. I will not stay here anymore.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 251
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Dear Londonman1,

Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your recent stay with us. First of all, please accept my apology for the unsatisfactory visit.

I am pleased to mention that our hotel is in the middle of a major guestroom renovation, which would address your concerns regarding our guestrooms. We have just opened 100 newly-renovated rooms and should have the entire hotel completed by the end of this year.

You are correct that our hotel is dog-friendly. We rarely receive comments from guests regarding odors from dogs as we are normally aware when a guest does have a dog so we can service the room appropriately. Unfortunately, I do not know what happened in this specific case and am sorry for this disappointing experience. I have shared your comment with our Executive Housekeeper so she can review with her staff.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our staff and service and hope you will give us another opportunity to better serve you at our “new” hotel if you return to Tampa again in the future.

Once again, thank you for your very valuable feedback.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

Don't judge the stay by the 1st floor conditions. When you walk in it looks great. Nice remodeled bar, restaurant and lobby. Easy concierge access and VERY friendly staff. Then you hit the elevator and it goes from Sheraton standards to a roadside motel. First impressions- the hallways are dark, there's visible damage to the walls and ceilings from improper ventilation. And it's so damp everywhere.

Our room was soaking wet. The ceiling cassette A/C doesn't dehumidify the air so it was turned all the way down to 65°. There were beer cans in the garbage and it smelled like a bar. We tried to get a little fresh air in there and could barely budge the sliding door open. The ceiling in the bathroom was really only holding on because of the paint. The self-serve coffee was not only stale but the creamer had gone bad. The doors do not have sound seals on the bottoms so all night long you can hear EVERYTHING happening on your floor. Doors slamming, people talking, people partying. And apparently if you have a private party there, you're allowed to reserve the entire pool area so none of the hotel guests can use it.

The only thing that saved this from being the worst hotel I've stayed in was the staff. The waiters and bartenders were extremely nice as was our check in/out clerks. This is not Sheraton standards by any stretch of the imagination. We will not be returning.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Andrew G, AFOM at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Dear palamedes79,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. Please accept my apology for the inconveniences you experienced.
I would like to make you aware our hotel is in the process of a multi-million dollar renovation. We have been renovating our guestrooms and have just put 100 “new” rooms back in service. This renovation will address the physical issues you experienced in the room you stayed in.
I am also sorry for the housekeeping issues you had. I have shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper for her to follow up with her staff.
Once again, thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed our service and do hope you will stay with us again in the future when you can experience our “new” hotel.

Reviewed 22 October 2017

I'll be honest here I was travelling for work and being a government employee they typically stick us in the worst rooms possible because we have a ceiling we can pay. So, my room did NOT face the water (despite requesting it) nor did it really have what I would call "Sheraton" quality standards. Paint was pealing, no fridge, no microwave, distribution of bed area to desk area to clothes area needs massive upgrade. Tried to go to pool, well there was a "private party" so no pool. Learned later I could have access to next door hotel in these situations, but the employee was kinda rude to me when I was informed. MANAGEMENT - Just train people properly. The door on my balcony was so jacked up I had to take serious forearm action to open it; can't imagine if I was 50+. MANAGEMENT - Please fix. Decor, so outdated, but attempted to be modern; obvious. MANAGEMENT - Spend some money. Location is priceless. MANAGEMENT - Capitalize on your location and make the most of it. Had both a kid's homecoming as well as wedding/private party this weekend; fing sucked. Take home for MANAGEMENT - Stop being cheap, you have a HUGE resource of your location and investment in the damn place. IT JUST SEEMS CHEAP AND IT DOESN'T HAVE TO. I know you're "under a renovation", but every hotel is constantly and this place just needs some love. PLEASE DON'T WRITE SOME MANAGERIAL REPLY TO THIS SAYING "OH WE'RE SO SORRY BUT..." I DON'T NEED IT, BUT HERE'S THE THING YOU HAVE ONE CHANCE TO WIN ME AND YOU DIDN'T I WON'T BE STAYING HERE AND THE PEOPLE READING THIS WON'T AS WELL.

CHEERS

P.S. THE RESTAURANT ROCKS AND SO DOES THE BAR TENDER AND FOOD STAFF, EVERYONE ELSE D-.

OUT

Room Tip: Water side
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business