“Stank Underwear!!!”

La Quinta Inn Tampa Near Busch Gardens
Ranked #84 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We arrived late night around midnight! Receptionist told us they had one room left, but the previous person didn't want it once they viewed it. I can't remember why! However, I as we stepped into the room there was a rancid odor. So my husband and I look at each other and said that's why they didn't want the room. So we sprayed it with the air freshener we had in the car because we were tired and didn't feel like driving anymore. I took a shower while my husband inquired about the odor and warmed his food in the lobby. As I always do I pulled the comforter back to remove it (I NEVER SLEEP WITH THEM CAUSE THEY DON'T CHANGE THEM BETWEEN GUESTS, I used to work in hotels). As I pulled it back I notice a hair that look like a pubic hair, but thought to myself "that could have been stuck after laundering". Boy was I mistaken!!! Once the sheets were pulled back there was a NASTY PAIR OF MEN'S UNDERWEAR tucked tightly in the foot of the bed. I was livid at this point. As my husband came back I showed him and we went right away to the front desk and told them we found the odor. We had to remake the other bed ourselves and she did offer a free night, but I was amazed. The maid actually just tucked the bed sheets in and called it clean. AMAZINGLY NASTY. The hotel never contacted me with any apologies. Bad business and very unsanitary.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NurseHondie

Reviewed 31 July 2011

The staff were friendly and all smiles. We had no problems with service. Unfortunately, the hotel is nowhere near as good as the staff.

The facility was older and in need of serious renovation. Our room had patched walls with no attempt to paint over the area. If they were remodeling, they did not mention this to us. The carpeting was seriously stained. It appeared the bathroom had flooded with water stains about two inches off the ground. There was dirt along the floor moldings and door casings, the kind that would need to be scrubbed and painted away. The room was otherwise clean. (Housekeeping can only do so much.)

There were positives. This hotel is directly across from Busch Gardens. You can see the roller coasters from the parking lot. You can hear the laughter and screams as you take hold of your doorknob. Inside the room, you would never know you were anywhere near an amusement park. You could hear people moving around in the hallways and on the stairs, but other than that it was quiet. The breakfast room was very large with a woman hustling out food as quickly as it was gobbled up. The food was simple cereal, yogurt and waffles. There was one sad little apple; fruit lovers were disappointed the day I was there.

I might have rated this place even lower except that the bulk of the clientelle were families on their way to the amusement park. The hotel is cheap and it filled the bill for these people. For the rest of us, I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Sleep as far away from the elevators and stairs as possible.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KLake
Reviewed 15 June 2011

this hotel needs some work but overall
it's good we took our two dogs and it went well. i was affraid because they have rugs, but it was very clean.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank omie0715
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff, right next to Busch Gardens, nice big pool, free wifi and under $50. Not sure how you could expect more for the money. The neighborhood is NOT the greatest, though - not the kind of place to go for a walk at night. Police station is right next door, though, so it would be a bad place for criminals to pursue their interests.

Room Tip: online rates are great
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TTTStLou
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Lobby was ok, check in was fast. Hotel has a wonderfull location but the building needs some repairs. Walking to the room we saw a hole in the cealing, the walls was dirty.Even when the isles are open they should keep everything clean. Inside the room 3 power outlets didnt work so just one to used to charge my phone 2 lights didnt work. Carpet was very old and full in spots very ugly. The bathroom just had a little bit of toilett paper, I had to call to have more. reservation was made to have a king bed but they give me 2 full beds cause a room with one bed was more than $45 that doesnt make any sence for me. Breakfast was a joke. I nerver will paid $45 for this and is too sad because this hotel is located in a good area, we could walk to the park (Busch Gardens). I never will stay here again for this price. Now the swimming pool area was beautiful. the only thing I really like from here.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple