“Looked forward to the meal but wasn't impressed”
Review of Flor Fina

Ranked #974 of 2,477 Restaurants in Tampa
Neighbourhood: Historic Ybor
Neighbourhood: Historic Ybor
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

While "hotel restaurants" typically have a bad or "stale" reputation, I heard this one is different also given it's located inside a newer, lifestyle hotel in the Ybor area. We were a group of 6 co-workers that went for dinner after our work meetings. While we were seated quickly the rest of the service was VERY slow and lackluster. The restaurant was not very full when we sat down but progressively became busier so we expected to have pretty good and prompt service. Our server first took our beverage orders and those arrived after 15 minutes (guessing the bar was backed-up). Then he struggled explaining and answer our questions about various menu items and daily specials. He returned after another 15-20 minutes to take our orders. We stated with a few tapas and appetizers but we (now after realizing this will not be efficient service), we should have placed our entire order.
The menu isn't too large and each section has 3-4 choices which is perfect to guide the diner into specific directions. We ordered the Octopus Tostadas which was very flavorful. There are 3 per order so we ordered a couple to ensure everyone tried it. We also ordered the corn fritters which were very dry and doughy and would not order them again. I also ordered the tuna and watermelon ceviche which was AMAZING. Highly recommend. Some of the other ceviche looked good as well. Half of us ordered the chicken marsala which was quite flavorful, some ordered the snapper which wasn't to much to their liking and then the pasta special which was ok. The desserts were also good but not great.
Overall, the restaurant space is casual and comfortable, the food options are interesting and quite tasty but the service we received diminished much of it. Perhaps with additional training and communication it would be a much better dining experience (especially for the price point).

Date of visit: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (6)

Reviewed 1 March 2021 via mobile

A party of three had a reservation for Sunday Brunch at 2:30 pm. We arrived at 2:35 and immediately shown to our table. Very few tables filled aside from one large party. Served water immediately. 15 minutes elapse with no visit from a server. We ask other wait staff to alert our server Another 5 minutes elapse before server appears. Apologizes for the delay and takes our drink order. Another 5 minutes goes by. Someone, who later identifies themselves as a manager, comes to confirm one of the drinks we ordered. Server returns to take our food order. After being seated for 40 minutes, we received our cocktails which were done correctly. Approximately 10 minutes later, 2 of the 3 entrees arrive and 3 out of 3 sides arrive. Server checks in, but we have not touched our food yet. Several minutes elapse and the final entree arrives. I ordered the crab cakes benedict. The crab cakes were completely black on the bottom, the bernaise sauce was grainy and broken and the english muffin was so hard I could not cut it. The manager passed by, I pointed out the burnt crab cakes. He identified himself as a manager. We explained the difficulties of our experience thus far. He profusely apologized, assured me the order would be redone rapidly and would not charge for our first round of cocktails or my entree. The gesture was appreciated. My 2nd entree was delivered. The poached egg was completely raw inside and was inedible. Informed the server. Some one identifying themselves as the chef came and apologized and offered a bag of pastries for our trouble, which we declined. Nothing form our experience would induce me to go here again. Apologies are appreciated, but fixing the problem is the most important issue. I give 2 stars because the other food was acceptable. Nothing exceptional.

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 23 February 2021

I have nothing but amazing things to say about this place. A group of friends came in for their whole piglet roast ($395 total, minimum four people, order ahead) and it was amazing. Absolutely amazing. Everything about the food and the drinks and service were all perfect and I'm not shy about the fact that I'm a snob about these things. The space is lovely too with great ambience. It's a true gem.

Date of visit: February 2021
2  Thank Sal_Paradise767
Reviewed 15 December 2020

Highly recomended for excelence service , food its delciios and well excecuted. Menu is extensive and some items seasonal to a particularly high standard. Homemade sausages, ham wow impresive. Definitely fine & new norm dining, elegant, the space is simply gorgeus, nice outdoor patio overlooking pool. Chef Signature Suckling Pig ( pre order in advance) was the highlight, ceviches were perfect, We are so fortunate to have this place just a 15 minutes drive away from home. Food is stunning, both bar menu and main dinning room and Cocktails wow, wine great and lovely selection of beers. Love this place and will continue to visit.Highly recommended.

Date of visit: October 2020
1  Thank OlgaM714
Reviewed 26 November 2020

Flor Fine can't be more than 6 weeks old though in the time of COVID time is distorted. The space is historic and within a brand new hotel where a classic disco was for at least 40 years. The construction is now complete and modernized but in keeping with the Italian/Spanish immigrants that started Ybor City.
The main draw for this first visit was the Porchetta Roast meal. It is a suckling pig meal that includes Mezze starter to share and dessert. It serves 4 - 6 easily. Two of our friends ordered off the menu and we also had additional starters off the menu. I'd heard that service was not great but on the night of our visit the service was very good. The food was very good but my only criticism of the suckling pig was that the skin was not cooked to a crisp.
There is also a gorgeous bar. The kind of fun hotel bar one thinks of finding in NYC. I was not comfortable staying there but once I get my Vaccine it may be one of the first places I go to!

Date of visit: November 2020
2  Thank KennethPages

Been to Flor Fina? Share your experiences!