“Good Affordable Cantonese Restaurant with Large Portion”
Review of China Yuan

China Yuan
Ranked #315 of 2,607 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2018

We were there three times when traveling in the Tampa bay area for dinner. We were pleased with their Cantonese dishes in all visits. We ordered at least one hot pot in every visit. I especially like their braised fish fillet with bean curd. We also ordered lo-mein and pan-fried noodles but I would not try their version of pan-fried noodles again. The noodles were oil fried and topped with gravy and meat; that was not the traditional Cantonese preparation.

I also had their fish fillet congee and found them just as good as other similar restaurants in this area. The squid with sour mustard green was okay but not excellent, but I could have become picky at this point in our third visit.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

This was a great find for me. The reviews were good. The restaurant is in a little store front shopping center just north of Waters Ave. Service was good and efficient. The prices are good for the quality. The menu is extensive. The fried dumplings were very good and an appetizer plenty for 2-3 people. My wife had a seafood soup which she said was great. I had the Mu Shu Pork which was not the best I've had but is a hard to find item in Tampa. I really want to try some of their other dishes. Seafood is probably a good choice here as there is a tank with fresh seafood. A nice pot of tea with loose leaves was a treat. If you like Chinese, this is not your typical place and a far better choice than any buffet for a good price. I'll go back soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2018

This restaurant is as authentic Chinese as you can have in Tampa. I love the pork, duck and dim sum.

Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

I've been to this place a lot for the right reasons . My cousin and I discovered this place from the owners brother of course . Lol . I've traveled extensively even to china and all over the states visiting Chinatowns in NY , San Francisco and its Chinese restaurants. In all my visits China Yuan consistently creates the most authentic Hong Kong style food but also the most flavorful. As a retired Executive Chef who knows a little about food I've always been impressed with the dishes . From the delicious black pepper short ribs to the salt and pepper pork chops . Looking at the hanging Roast Duck, Roast Pork and Chicken behind the counter will make you salivate .If you like fresh seafood there lobster , crabs and Fish to choose from the live tanks .Dim Sum on Saturdays is a must .You know it's the popular place for Asians when it's always busy during weekends and holidays . Yes, I'm Asian . Peter and Sue (I think their adoptive American names) lol , are the most gracious host . When you talk to Peter about food , he knows his stuff . If you're looking to tickle your tastebuds give it a try. Tell Peter that Kevin and Vince says hi.

Reviewed 16 January 2017

The wait was not good considering we are not of the nationality. This was my first time having dim sum. I must say the food was amazing. You can understand the menu and order different things to try. Oh my is all I can say. Once you tart it is hard to stop. I will be looking for places to compare to this one.

Been to China Yuan? Share your experiences!