“Authentic and thrifty Vietnamese lunch place”
Review of Saigon Deli II

Saigon Deli II
Ranked #254 of 2,623 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 3 September 2015

Recommended by a friend, Saigon Deli is in a plaza set well back from Waters, so I had never seen it before. The place is packed at noon, so best to go after 1:00. Half the customers are Asian, always a good sign. Most items on the menu are $7 and under. Hot tea is free. we split an order of spring rolls, which was $3 for 2. They contained shrimp and roast pork, and were served with peanut sauce. We each had the seafood pho which had a great broth, along with shrimp, fishballs, tofu and calamari with bean noodles. It was served with a side of fresh mung bean sprouts, culantro, Thai basil and jalapeno pepper slices. The staff was friendly, and handled the crowd efficiently. Saigon deli has zero ambiance, but if it's good authentic Vietnamese food you are after at a great price, this is where you want to be. Note: open seven days, but closes at 5:00.

1  Thank Jim S

Reviewed 8 August 2015

There was a long line for take-out when we got in. We managed to get a table. The waiter took our order but the wait for the food was long. My husband had the Pho and I had fried egg rolls. The egg rolls tasted okay but they were very greasy. My husband did not really like the Pho. The waiter.never came back to check on us. When we finished eating, I waited for the waiter to bring our bill. He never came. When I made eye contact with him and I signaled for him to give me the bill, he told me that I had to fall in line and tell the cashier what we had,
The place did not look very clean. There was a dirty broom hanging on the wall by the window of the kitchen. The staff was not friendly at all. We will not hurry back.

Reviewed 23 July 2015

So I went on an adventure to check this place out per recommendation of a review I had read. This place is so on target. It's not very big, has several tables inside and a couple of tables outside. Be mindful, the hours are 8:00a.m. till 5:00pm only but they are open everyday. Upon approaching this restaurant, the wonderful smells entice you. The rolls, bahn mi, soups and various noodle/rice dishes are fantastic. I especially enjoyed the shrimp, squid and shrimp ball pho (seafood soup). Very helpful staff here. Very busy flow of patrons. here. I will be making this a regular spot for my Thai food cravings.

Reviewed 13 July 2015

I stopped in based on reviews and was not disappointed. I had to sit outside so it was a little warm to eat beef Pho, pork bah mi and Bubble tea (surprise it has tapioca pearls - obviously my first time having the tea). which was recommended by another reviewer. They are only open until 5pm, so go for a late lunch to avoid the crowds.

The food was excellent and more than I could eat so they gave me a take home for the leftover Pho. The prices were really reasonable, under $15 for all. The only thing that I am not used to is how you pay. I didn't get a check but just went to the cash register to pay. I don't know how they do it with all the people at lunch time but they knew which was my ticket and order. Surprised me. I live and learn every day.

Reviewed 29 June 2015 via mobile

Went by late on a Sunday afternoon while hanging in the area with my little sister, and glad she suggested Saigon Deli!

The original Bahn Mi's are only $3, and are a great large snack by themselves, or get 2 and have a huge meal!

Our sandwiches were delicious, and I wish we had been hungrier, because they had a wide variety of other Vietnamese classics made fresh by this family-owned deli. Can't wait to come back to Tampa and try them out!

Been to Saigon Deli II? Share your experiences!