“Great steak - Awesome Martinis”

Charley’s Steak House & Market Fresh Fish
Reserve with OpenTable
Charley’s Steak House & Market Fresh Fish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 2,461 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: US$25 - US$80
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cypress between Lois & Westshore
Description: Charley's Steak House Aged Steaks & Market Fresh Fish is truly the most award-winning restaurant in Tampa! Among its many accolades, Charley's has been voted one of the Top Ten Best Steakhouses in America, Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence and Sante Awards for High Level of Professional Service & Culinary Cuisine. Our USDA Prime & Choice steaks are aged on the premises for four to six weeks and are hand-cut daily by management to ensure consistent quality. The steaks are then flame-grilled over our unique 1200° Florida citrus and oak wood fueled custom pit. To increase flavor, Charley's cuts all their steaks "on the bone" because their bone releases flavor and helps the meat retain its natural juices during the cooking process. A lively and energetic lounge, chef-driven daily specials, signature steaks, an award-winning wine list and top notch service enhances each guest's dining experience to the fullest!
Reviewed 30 March 2017

Been here a couple times, once for Mother's Day - Very busy but still very nice, and there were special offers for Mom (Yay!) Once for a romantic dinner. I found that at night, the environment was much nicer, more romantic with dim lighting and great service. We had steak and crab legs and everything was amazing but my favorite part was the Apple Martini. Legendary. A really nice experience, but more pleasant at night for sure.

John W, General Manager at Charley’s Steak House & Market Fresh Fish, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2017

That Apple Martini is very hard to beat! I am glad that you have enjoyed your experiences with us. We look forward to having you back in soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

One of my favorite restaurants. Awesome grilled meats and delicious seafood. I always make sute to visit when I'm in town. Great meat counter at the entrance!

I am glad that we are one of your favorites! Thank you so much for visiting us when you are in town. We look forward to providing you with more great experiences!

Reviewed 29 March 2017

I visited Charley's on a recent business trip to Tampa. Our Tampa office recommended several restaurants, and this was one of them. The restaurant is close to the airport and immediately next door to the Doubletree Tampa Airport (where we were staying).

My colleague and I were seated immediately as we had a reservation. We opted not to have appetizers, and went straight for the steak. I generally dislike to ponder over a menu and I arrive prepared, reading the menu in advance. The server brought the menus and a wine list, and immediately handed the wine list to my colleague. I've noticed that when I dine with a male colleague, no one ever presents the wine list to me, which I find supremely annoying. It is always given to the guy at the table. I would suggest either asking both guests if they will be ordering alcohol and see who answers, or standing up the wine list in the middle of the table and let the guests decide who takes it. My colleague never drinks, and I decided not to partake at all.

The server offered to show us all the steaks, and I replied that I knew what I wanted. Good service, to me, indicates agreement with my order, but the server asked me if I was sure (a couple of times). I asked my colleague if he wanted to see the steaks to which he was indifferent, so, to avoid further questions, we asked to be shown the steaks. The showing didn't change either of our minds. I ordered an 8 oz filet mignon medium well (with a side of mushrooms and a side of mashed potatoes), whereas my colleague ordered a medium NY strip (with a side of roasted vegetables). This was the first time a server advised that my filet will have to be butterflied, and I thought nothing of it.

The steaks come with bread and a salad. While I didn't like the bread which was greasy (and which was, come to think of it, more rolls with cheese on them than they were bread), I did like the salad, as it had just the right amount of dressing. It was the first time in a long time I finished my salad.

When the steaks arrived, I noticed mine was well done, but I'd rather have it well than bloody. Well, the best would be if I got it medium well, but there we are. The steak was well seasoned and overall delicious, the mushrooms excellent and mashed potatoes very tasty. Our server was a bit scarce, but other servers stopped by to fill our water glasses, and those servers were much friendlier than our regular server.

Since we didn't have appetizers, we decided to have dessert. The server once again rolled out a cart, this time with desserts on them, and I ordered apple pie with ice cream, whereas my colleague ordered carrot cake. I loved the apple pie, as it really hit the spot. My colleague was less enthused about his carrot cake. I also wanted to try their salted caramel cheesecake, but couldn't eat a bite more, so I ordered it to go in order to have it for the next day. The cheesecake was nothing to write home about, so of the three desserts I'd definitely recommend apple pie with ice cream.

Looking around the restaurant the ambiance was nice. While I was looking at Tiffany-style lamps around the dining rooms, my colleague was admiring the vast collection of fishing rods displayed around the restaurant. We didn't feel rushed, but nor did we feel that we had the excellent service people talk about. Don't get me wrong, the server wasn't overtly rude or unprofessional. It was as if they had a bad day and tried to hide it. Charley's is an expensive place, and I don't mind that if both my food and the service were good. The food mostly was. Maybe I was really annoyed by that wine list and held a grudge. And I also felt that the steak could have been medium well without butterflying, but that's over now. All the sides are priced separately, so that you don't accept anything on your plate apart from the steak, which is not a bad thing.

In all, Charley's is a very good restaurant with delicious food overall. I know they are known for excellent and friendly service, and it just so happened we didn't receive that part, which is a part of the missing dot in the rating. The more expensive a restaurants the more I expect from them, service and quality-wise. If you go to Charley's you'll receive very good food, possibly good service, and good ambiance, so I'd say it's worth a trip. Is it worth a repeat trip? Maybe. Bon appetit!

Thank you for coming in and dining with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your meal but I am sorry to hear that the service was not what you expected. We pride ourselves on giving great service to all of our guests and want everyone to leave feeling wowed by everything. I do hope you come back in so you can experience the service that we are proud of and known for. Please feel free to contact me at jwilkinson@tottrg.com if I can be of any assistance. Thank you again for dining with us.

Reviewed 28 March 2017 via mobile

Excellent service. Unbelievable steaks. Just go here because it is awesome. Ive eaten a lot of steak in some top notch restaurants. This ranks with the best

I am glad that you enjoyed the food and service. Thank you very much for dining with us!

Reviewed 27 March 2017

All around great dinner with friends. Service top notch. Kobe was delicious and so was the NY Strip which was the most tender I have ever had. It's pricey but way better than some of the Tampa 5 star steakhouses.

Thank you for coming in and l am glad that you enjoyed everything! We look forward to having you again soon!