“A friend from India recommended this place to me...”
Review of Tamarind Indian Cuisine - CLOSED

Tamarind Indian Cuisine
Cuisines: American, Asian, Indian, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 March 2015 via mobile

If you find yourself on Fowler Ave in Tampa and you are overwhelmed with the large array of ethnic food choices, look no more. My friend from India recommended this place, she is from north India and she said that this place has both north and southern Indian cuisine. They do have quite a large menu, and we had a hard time choosing. I got a mixed plate of tandoor cooked meats, my husband got the lamb vindaloo. We love spicy food and the flavor really came through in the all of the food, he has had spicier vindaloo elsewhere but he loved it. You order your sauces additionally, on the side with my tandoor plate, (doesn't come with the meal) I enjoyed trying the different meats and sauces. Great flavor here. The garlic naan bread was fabulous. Great professional and prompt service, the interior of the restaurant was nice but the outside appearance of the place might shy away some customers-don't let it fool you. They serve up some excellent food here. We will be back next time we are up that way in Tampa.

Reviewed 3 February 2015 via mobile

We went for the Saturday buffet (13$) the buffet had tikka masala, aloo palak, chicken byriyani, basmati rice, goat curry, tandoori chicken and daal tadka. There was also a small salad set up, no fruit, no desert, or mango lassi. The food was not spicy at all. If you love spicy Indian food you will not find it at this buffet. Overall, everything was good, but kind of bland. I ate two small plates and I pretty much didn't feel like getting the second plate. The best thing they had was the potato balls that are fried in chickpea flour (i can't remember the name). I did not like the goat curry at all (nor did my friend) and the byriyani was pretty good (the hottest thing available also).

I asked a server which items contained wheat and I was informed only the naan. So everything was gluten free except that and I did not have any gluten reactions after eating there. The overall decor of the restaurant is really nice. probably the best I've seen at an Indian restaurant in Tampa. Pretty much like all the other reviews say white table cloths and minimal clutter. The staff was great at picking up our plates almost immediately after we were done. The only thing I didn't like is the mgr was hovering around bc it was nearing 2:30 and they were going to be closing. He actually came and grabbed the tip off the table while we were still sitting there! I thought him rushing us was odd because about 40 ppl came in ten minutes to closing and started eating so obviously there was no rush.

Reviewed 26 January 2015

We ate at Tamarind many times during our recent trip to Tampa and loved their food, ambiance and service. Mr. Pandey (General Manager) and Mr. Hyder (Manager) are doing a great job in making sure that customers' expectations are met/surpassed ! In fact , Tamarind is the best Indian restaurant we ate at in Tampa ! Keep it up, folks !

Reviewed 30 December 2014 via mobile

I was here during my Xmas trip to Florida. The ambience was pretty good and one thing that I really loved was the service. I am a total vegetarian and so review is strictly based on that. The food tasted good except one dish (it was a starter) that the manager readily accepted back and expressed his admittance as well. Overall in general in would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for good Indian food where spice levels are really defined and maintained as you want it to be.

Reviewed 30 December 2014

loved the food. Great decor. Nice customer Service. I like the menu and great vegetarian selection. I will go back again!