“Wonderful Hotel with Service Oriented Staff and Management”

The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
Ranked #33 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 November 2017

We booked a 7 night stay at on Groupon at the Westshore Grand in mid November. The Hotel is part of a Business office building and has a very cool open concept vibe. Our SPG Platinum status was recognized at check-in, and we received a room upgrade as well as a fantastic breakfast buffet each morning ($21.00 value). The workout facilities are very good, and we made use of them throughout the week.

I reached out to management over a minor issue with our room and was graciously thanked. Our room was again upgraded to a Junior Suite, luggage was moved into the new room seamlessly. We were even treated to a cheese tray and chocolate mini Grande Piano plate upon arrival.

We noted 2 standout points from our stay: 1. Hotel Cleanliness 2. Great Service. The staff here really looked after us: Lisa, at Check in was courteous and accommodating. Jerald, Randall and Sam(antha), at Shulas for breakfast each morning, were friendly and attentive. Anna, in housekeeping was thorough and helpful. James Hellman, in management was a real hero, who went well beyond what was expected to make our stay at the Westshore Grand as good as it could be.

The Hotel is not perfect. The middle elevator (of 3) was often not functioning. The roof top pool area off the 9th floor is initially pretty cool place to hang out, but the water in the pool was freezing cold. There is not a hot tub on the property. The parking for the hotel is in a Parking Garage located behind the hotel, and could be confusing to guests.

Everything considered, this is a GREAT property who treat their guests very well. I look forward to returning soon.

DDP

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are large and make for a great stay!
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Thank D. Douglas P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,544)

Reviewed 30 November 2017

Such a good deal for 89 per night. Check in was easy as I did it by mobile. Once I arrived at the hotel, the key was ready for me. Had a nice city and bay view at the 10th floor. However, had to downgrade to the atrium view on the 6th floor as neighboring guests were quite noisy. However, the staff apologized with breakfast coupons at the Shula lounge, which was a nice gesture. The 6th floor room was quite nice as well with a plush king size bed, 49 inch tv, small working desk, and an otterman chair. Tv had good channels, but surprisingly the premium channels were only available at the fitness center. The bathroom was quite nice with a heavenly bath quality shower and lemon verbana bath amenities. Bathroom was quite clean too, but the drain was slow for the shower. The public amenities are quite nice and hip with beautiful fountains in the building and courtyard. The fitness center was well equipped with various treadmills, step machines, bikes, weights, exercise balls, and other equipment. The pool is a bit small, but provides nice views of the bay at the 9th floor. Shula breakfast was good with some hot and cold items, but expensive at 21 dollars if I had to pay for it. It did include eggs though. I have not tried the no name lounge bar yet. Overall, this is one of my favorite hotels to stay in Tampa. I have stayed when it was a Sheraton and the Intercontinental, but the Tribute Portfolio chain does a good job maintaining the 4 star status. Will definitely stay here again, especially if it is under 100 per night.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 November 2017

Found what I thought was great online hotel deal ---Expecting to get some rest after traveling to Tampa for a funeral. That wasn't the case --
All doing the night I kept hearing the strange noise, and called the front desk to ask if my room was over a laundry-room or something?? A guy who answered (Josh???) said I wasn't near the laundry room.
Finally, after not being able to sleep from the noise, I decided to take my shower and go downstairs to speak to someone in person. However, the knob on the shower wasn't working properly - OMG - finally got the dang thing to work.
Exhausted - I proceeded to the front desk and asked Jewell for a Manager on duty, but was told no one would be there until around 7 a.m. I then asked for an engineer to check the room, and he happen to be there when I was checking out. He checked the room and said the noise was coming from the elevator - the bearing was worn. Thus, making noise every time someone would use the elevator - Go Figure?? And the knob on the shower was loose.
I asked if a Manager would call me via my cell since I was traveling , and was also told someone would contact me later that day . Did you hear from anyone cause I didn't!!
No SLEEP at ALL..Definitely, Not what I paid for !!

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator Noticed only two out of three elevators working
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Elaine W
James H, Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Dear Elaine W,

First and foremost, please accept my sincerest apologies for the unsatisfactory experience you had during your time with us. Please know that what you describe here is not the level of service expected of our employees and our product. We apologize for the inconveniences you were caused as a result of our elevators and the shower. We have since addressed the issue with our Engineering team to ensure all rooms are fully operational for our guests’ enjoyment. We really appreciate the constructive criticism, and will constantly work towards meeting that expectation that we proudly set among all our guests.

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

Zenobia at the front desk was incredible! She made our stay so great. Everyone we met provided great service. Rooms were clean, the Shula steakhouse downstairs was exceptional and the bar was pretty neat as well. We will definitely be back again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2017

Was here for a 4-night business stay. Reasonably well-situated, close to the airport, close enough to DT Tampa, easy access to the bridges to St. Pete, etc. Hotel tower is surrounded by corporate office towers, sort of sharing common space on the ground floor. (The little cigar shop on the ground floor is worth checking out if you're into that kind of thing.) Check-in was easy. Lobby was fine (didn't dine at Shula's). Room was fine - although my "view" was of one of the other office towers, which meant I left my drapes closed all week - no Florida sunshine. It was like having an inside room on a cruise ship. But the room had all the necessary amenities, and was comfortable and reasonably well kept-up.

This property is really on par with a Sheraton, or a full-branded Marriott. Nothing wrong with it, but no reason not to check out other options in the area either.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
James H, Manager at The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

Dear Nmhen,

We greatly value your feedback as our guest and it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your overall stay at our property. It is always of utmost important to us to ensure that our guests leave the hotel satisfied at all times. Our goal is to always provide great service that will make you want to return again and again. We hope that you will give us another try and let us prove this to you during your next trip to Tampa.