“20 stars!!!”

Lupton's Catering & Restaurant
Ranked #624 of 2,599 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

I know good soul home down cooking and they have it!!!! At first I was frowning at the Buffett price. But it is worth every penny!!!! They had any kind of BBQ u can think of. And the fried chicken n mac n chz!!!! Omg!!!!! I will be back!!!

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

The sides are very good. The Southern beans, turnip greens, homemade mashed potatoes, cooked cabbage, and white beans are just a few of the sides on the buffet. The main dishes are: BBQ ribs, grilled and fried chicken, sliced turkey. They also have a salad bar and deserts. Drink is included. But before you go running over there, wait! They haven't had air conditioning for a couple of months now! We didn't stay long. It was too hot!! We won't be back until they fix the a/c.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Ignore the dated and really old decor although it makes you wonder about the cleanliness, or lack there of. The food leaves a lot to be desired. Most of it was overcooked mush with the exception of the fried chicken which was passable. Salad Bar had old lettuce and a few topping options. Three varieties of soup all looked them same and were very bland and tasteless. Desserts looked good but cake was extremely dry with overly sweet frosting. We tried this place and won't ever be returning.

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

We read the previous reviews on Luptons & I'm here to set the record straight! AWESOME FOOD! Dont let the outside fool you. It's not five star for it's appearance but the food was amazing. The inside is quaint & vintage. Hanging planes from the ceiling and wooden booths & tables. 2 food buffets, salad & soup bar, taco bar and dessert & ice cream bar. Food is seriously homestyle! Greens, cabbage, to die for Mac & cheese, sweet cornbread & bisquits, BBQ ribs chix, mashed potatoes...seasoned like grandma cooked it! Soul food at its finest!

Reviewed 5 May 2017

I figure you've read some of the other reviewers comments about Lupton's regarding the outside appearance or possibly the inside, too. You can bet this is not a shiny new deco glass building. A little worn, maybe like your favorite old pair of shoes?
Inside is quaint with the radio controlled airplanes hanging from a cloudy sky painted ceiling. There are also a LOT of military and community oriented awards, commendations, photos and such on most every wall. The Lupton family has been very involved in their community, giving back for a lot of years.

Now, about the food...Southern-style homecooking with plenty of choices. Start out with a decent selection of salad items. Or, as some of their better eaters do, just head right for the MEAT! Lupton's knows how to barbeque, whether it's ribs, chicken or pork. Today I had the ribs and they were juicy, fall off the bone good.

The selection of veggies is guaranteed to please most everyone, too. Greens, beans, black beans, white and yellow rice, good ol' mashed taters, gravy, and on and on and on...
There's even a sign that they'll make you some Fried Green Tomatoes 'on request'. My next visit I'm going to take them up on that offer!

They have rolls of paper towels right there at your table, you'll want them and need them. In here, it is just about mandatory to eat with your hands!

Finish off with a piece of cake, pie, jello or get a scoop of ice cream. Yum.

You'll be guaranteed to get enough to eat. And it's a price bargain, too!

If you've read my other reviews, you may be wondering 'where is her heavenly hottieness? Your fab fiancée? Well, I DO get out once and awhile without her, but I prefer not to. Actually, today I picked up her mother and took her out to lunch. Yeah, my future mother-in-law, and I willingly and knowingly chose to spend time with her??? I know, right? Truth be known, I love being able to spend time with the person responsible for bringing into being the best gift I could ever receive.

Been to Lupton's Catering & Restaurant? Share your experiences!