“Middle of nowhere”

Ocala National Forest
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Umatilla
More attraction details
Owner description: National parkland consisting of 383,220 acres of various landscapes, including highlands, coastal lowlands, swamps, springs, lakes and ponds.
Reviewed 17 December 2017

I went to Silver Springs State Park which is very nice for a 4 night stay. During the day I went through Ocala National Forest. It is in the middle of nowhere, nothing but trees on both sides of you. The have some campgrounds which I was not impressed. Alexander Springs campground is very tight and has small sites, not good for travel trailers or especially RV's. They have some shady looking people there to say the least .If this doesn't bother you, they have restrooms with hot showers which is a plus. Lake Dorr is nearby which doesn't have electric but has nice bathrooms. You can get a small RV, van or small travel trailer in there but those pesky bugs and mosquito's might be a problem. There is Salt Springs campground open and close site proximity. The worst part is that many of them are $22 or more to stay at a place with no electric, I wouldn't even pay that to stay in a tent. Some people might like this but it was not for me, I'll stay at State Parks and National campgrounds, some don't have electric but I always felt relatively safe and didn't worry about my equipment being stolen. I burnt up a tank of gas exploring Ocala National Forest and I couldn't wait till I got back in town. P.S. If you are ever out this way, you have to try Blue Highway Pizza, the best in the state of Florida, If you try it you'll see why. It's on Silver Springs Highway (Highway 40) in Ocala

3  Thank Tom T
"worst part"
"fire ring"
"ranger station"

Reviewed 28 October 2017

Ocala National Forest is huge, really huge. There are different things you can do in this forest. Trails, hunting, camping, canoeing.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

We are snowbirds, we live in the Ocala National Forest in Salt Springs just under six months a year. The actual springs in the recreation area are lovely. The forest has bears, deer, osprey, sometomes feral hogs, and tons of birds. Lots of natural beauty for photogs. It is a wilderness in some areas, with gators, poisonous snakes and spitty cell reception. But we love it there.

2  Thank JoanMN1948
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Ocala National Forest is a gem waiting to be explored! You can spend the afternoon, day, and weeks in this gorgeous, and huge, state park. It has it all in terms of real natural beauty, from hiking to canoeing, to bird watching, to biking, and swimming in incredible natural springs! We canoed for 4 hours in Alexander Springs which was beautiful beyond words. We saw all sorts of water fowl, large turtles all over the banks, and even a 6-foot gator. Just 10 minutes ahead of us they saw a black bear fishing in the water. After this gorgeous spring we drove to Silver Glen Springs and swam (& cooled off!) in this awesome natural spring! It was remarkable swimming with thousands of beautiful fish and I only wished I had brought my GoPro! Don't miss the mind-boggling beauty of the Ocala National Forest!

1  Thank Dave L