“Ok Food. Ok Service. Not somewhere we would repeat, unless really hungry.”

British Open Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 252 Restaurants in Venice
Price range: US$8 - US$14
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Here's the thing: perhaps it is my fault, and I should have read the menu more carefully or questioned the waitress more thoroughly. I had a deep, deep craving for nachos - you know, the kind that is crunchy with lots of melted cheese, and jalapenos, and salsa and sour cream and an ice cold beer. What I got was what appeared to be homemade potato chips, with some cheese, ranch dressing and no salsa, no jalapenos. Is was ok, but not something I would go out of my way to drive and order again. And yes, I did ask the waitress about portion size and toppings, but she never mentioned, and it never occurred to me to ask, if the restaurant was going to use actually corn chips or taco chips. My companion's fish dinner was ok, just a little dry, but a good portion. Again, my meal was a total of $17, which for me is pricey for an appetizer of not taco chips nachos and a small beer. Would we return again? Sure, sometime in a year or two, because the patio was comfortable and pretty. Was the service great? Well, we asked for our bill, twice, and we heard all about what the server's plans were for the following day - which was a day off for her. It's nice when the staff is friendly, but then there is that line that is crossed, and I hear too much information about your day when I am here to sit and talk to my companion and pay for your service. Oh well, perhaps I am too harsh, but I just wanted to eat, talk and drink.

Kelly O, Owner at British Open Pub & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you so much for your feedback! Yes, you are right, we do our own twist on our Pub Nachos- They are our Crispers (homemade potato chips) smothered with melted cheese, tomatoes, scallions, and jalapeno ranch sauce. Topped with your choice of meat, they are currently $9.99-$10.99. Our small beers (10oz) run $2.25-$4 depending on style. I can see how, with tax and tip, the total was $17. If that wasn't the case, please contact me so I can make it right! As for your overly friendly sever, I agree that there is a line! We ask our employees to stay professional while treating someone like they are a friend in our home.... Sometimes we need to adjust that description. If you would like to contact me with a bit more information, I would be happy to pass that along! We look forward to seeing you again to continue offering our unique menu items in a comfortable environment!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Friends took me there on St. Patricks Day. The wait was long...naturally, but reservations could have been speeded up a bit, if the reservation takers knew what they were doing. But no matter. My friends had c beef & cabbage and I had the irish stew over a baked potato.Huge servings. Out back was a band with Irish revelers in a tent. 5.00 a head to get in. Naturally it was crowded but in a great way. No green beer which was a disappointment, but no matter we had a great time and even greater food.

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

Never disappointed with the food at the British Open Pub. Frequently take out of town quests there. Usually have great service, but on our last visit the server must have been having a bad day.

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

Love this place! We go often for a quick bite. Remember its a PUB people. Great selection of beers and Gaelic rolls are my all time favorites. Nice twist on the nachos with homemade potato chips. Try it for a nibble you will be pleasantly surprised.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

OK, they are not a real Irish bar, but on March 17th every year, THIS is where I go. They do a terrific job putting on a party.....including live music! This is the best spot to be in the Venice-Nokomis area. Other places are limited by space so the crowding effect is awful.