“everything was excellent!”
Review of The Ravenous Pig

The Ravenous Pig
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ravenous Pig is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 361 Restaurants in Winter Park
Price range: US$25 - US$65
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Orlando 17-92
Reviewed 3 April 2018

The flavors from start to finish were amazing. everyone loved each and every entree. The charcuterie platter was excellent. We WILL be back!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

My husband and I had a late lunch at Ravenous Pig on a two-day visit to Winter Park. Their menu choices were excellent and their wine-by-the-glass selections were quite varied. Even at lunch the waiter brought out the wine bottle for approval. This is the mark of a professional restaurant. I had the mussels in coconut milk which were even more exciting to the palate than the description suggested. My husband had a hamburger which he definitely enjoyed. We will definitely dine at Ravenous on our next visit.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We had the most delightful dinner at the ravenous pig. Each dish is served in an innovative manner with only local products. The restaurant itself is absolutely beautiful! This is definitely a must go in the area....and we say that coming from Europe!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

This place isn’t located in the super cute tree lined streets of Winter Park but the service and the food at the Ravenous Pig are first class. The 3-5pm happy hour was a nice surprise. We had the artichoke dip (served with chicaron) the tacos and the chicken wings which were super tasty. Great selection of draft beers and wines. The deconstructed pavlova was a great way to end the meal.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Ravenous Pig
Winter Park

Ravenous for Food to Soul and Bodies

This is the kind of review that I’m joyfully, but ravenously writing...
A longtime, ”multi-visit”, due review about a true gastronomic place, were palate-pleasing recipes, artistry and nice ambiance abounds.
This are "my kind" of heartfully lines. The ones that in my own style-flows from my mind-softly and with loveliness-when my heart and soul are touched by my tastes...like it was, many times, last February, at ”Ravenous Pig”...
and, it has been, many times before over the years!
We went to Ravenous on our first evening outing since we returned, last February to our beloved north Orlando Home. After that we went with Jose Carlos, our dear godson, and Mariel-his wife-that were visiting us for a long weekend and, the last there, we went with Anton, our ”baby-boy”, who stayed a week with us
Our first gastro-stop was scheduled at Ravenous...where we feel comfy treated and well one by all its staff, headed by Scott, that had become a friend to all of us since we first meet him-years back- at the original Ravenous location on nearby Orange Avenue.
YES; Since they opened in 2007, The Ravenous...has served ”sustainable food created with passion” and artistry...that's why is highly located among our Orlando’s favorites.
THEY proudly indicate that their recipes are based on using ingredients sourced in Florida. James and Julie Petrakis have earned critical acclaim for their thoughtful creations inspired by the best seasonal foods from the Sunshine State. Some years back they made a ”wisemove”...moving its Orange Ave location to a much better one in Fairbanks Ave. A location that has its nice history (within) for our family when we were frequent costumers at the historic ”Le Cordon Bleu” !
That was then...let's see now:
This time, I would like to do some similitudes and differences with our last October Gastrotour, all over Charleston and nearby areas, where we enjoyed several fantastic gastronomic experiences which included; ”Halls Chophouse”, ”The Grill at Charleston Place” and ”Circa 1886”...among other great places
When we are enjoying our times in our North Orlando Home, as impenitent foodies, we-carefully- schedule our dining outings as gastronomic mini-adventures. Regardless, our first ones are- ALWAYS- Mount Dora’s 1921, Ravenous, Luma, Prato, Luke’s and Hillstone. Why is that?
Simply because our goals, at this ”prime” season of our lives, demand to be the most discerning as possible...as time pass by- extremely fast- without ever noticing or grasping the best of it
WHY and WHAT are those GOALS?
What is the truest meaning of those boldish statements?
My goals?
My goal is to find “pleasing, tastings, artistry...and beauty on a plate”.
I’m not talking just about nice presentation, but rather mind-blowing tasting experiences. For that, they need to be more than simple recipes; rather new discoveries to be enjoyed-newest surprises-in every one of those bites.

A few days back, when I was diletantly conversing about my gastronomic writings with Portelita-a dear schoolmate- great philosopher and better friend, he pointed out a paramount question; are (for me) just the luxurious-high-end restaurants.The ones showing the highest tab price. The ones using exuberant and expensive ingredients...The only ones where is possible to find satisfactory gastronomic experiences?
Certainly NOT! ....was my passionate answer to that question.
They are NOT the only ones offering passion for the art of gastronomy.
Gastronomy, as an ART, goes beyond and above fashionable high enders places where everything is -probably- more about image than substance!
The substance is sustained in true-gastronomic places-as in all ARTS...by it's creativity, its harmony, its balance, its contrasts and its freshness use of ingredients (ideas)
Now; we need to differentiate artisans and truest artists
Artisans, in cuisine, are simple cookers...with no-artistry intentions on his works.
Arts in cuisine are as important-or even more- as they are in any other major arts!
In other words; the Best Restaurants in the World needs to be an artistry expression of food to our souls, but framed on a nice ”canvas”; framed and served in a perfect AMBIANCE!
Can be food qualified as an artistic expression ?
That is an old discussion among scholars. Those ones that refused to recognize Food as an Art says that due to its nonpermanent and brief existence...food cannot be an Art, as Painting and another artistic expression, that will last forever. Others, in favor of Food as an Art, would say that other art expressions, like Music, are nonpermanent and it will be "alive" while is played, hence...same judgment could be applied to Food.
I'm one of those in favor of considering Food as an Art as there is no other art manifestation that pleases all our senses- in body and mind- as fine food does.
If you are following my reviews, you will find that I'm one of those-emphatically- in favor of considering Food as an Art
Here-at Ravenous- you will find an art manifestation that pleases your senses, your mind, and your body...as only fine artistry food does.
Now; I can't let "pass", as valid, those movements that-unfairly-just judge, as artistry in cuisine, it's creativity. As much as I respect those judgments, I believe that they are "overenthusiastic" when they granted the ”SUPERB” to some places based only in the creativity of their recipes...forgetting SETTING, SERVICE, AND AMBIANCE!
All the above qualities are of PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE IN FOOD AS ART...

Once said all the previous phylogenic considerations, let me get to some details of our latest fantastic gastronome experiences in Ravenous...
One of the nicest details here is that their Menu change accordingly to each season in order to take advantage of the peak flavors of all cooking ingredients
Before entering in some recipes tasted in our last evenings at Ravenous I need a moment from you; I’m obliged to note, even not been a Beer lover but wines lover, that they had a Brewery onsite, under the direction of Brewmaster Larry Foor. The Cask & Larder Brewery produces small batch of craft beers with meticulous care using innovative techniques. Those craft beers include year-round favorites as well as a rotating selection of limited edition seasonal beers.

As most of the times, while we waved our recipes options, we had either Ruinart Champagne (favorite of my dear wife) or a nice white wine from their Cellar.
Old red wines. Those hard to find ones-as usual- are from our North Orlando Home own cellar.
As this is a ”gastro-walk” into our last times there I need to briefly describe those wines following my notes and trusting my Proustian memories...
One evening, we start having a Ruinart, Rosé, that was the expression of two grape varieties blended in total harmony. A silky, generous feel on the palate...were chardonnay provided the Rosé with aromatic freshness, while the Pinot Noir offered intense bright color and delicate aromas of red and exotic fruits. Another evening we had, from their Cellar, an excellent priced and better unmistakable flavor tasting, head-heavy, white Meursault from Burgundian vineyards at its bests.
That day, after that Meursault, we had a jewel wine that we bought and brought from a trip to Burgundy...a Gevrey Chambertin, Premier Cru, Les Cazetiers, from Leclerc’s 2010 fantastic vintage. An intense ruby colored wine. Kind of a ”racy nose” showing a delicious note of spices, leading into a robust, lively and unforgettable powerful palate...our last bottle -regrettably- of that beauty!
Another evening we had a Vosne Romanee, Gros Frere, from great 2005 vintage. An exceptional complex pinot noir wine, from Vosne, our most beloved Bourgogne Region areas
To be pairing the meaty selections we had, twice, a selection from France’s Northern areas. A wine that we learned to love a long time ago. We increased, that appreciation, in our last trip to France when had the opportunity to stay in Vienne, enjoying its archifamous La Pyramide restaurant and its nearby Cote Rotie steep-sloped vineyards
They were a Cote Rotie, La Germine, from Duclaux, 2006. A very dark luscious ruby red, exotic and bold wine...”aggressive” and sharp as needed for the Lamb meaty flavors. The other wine, rather than Northern Rhone was from southern Chateauneuf areas. That red multi grape wine was a beauty, well preserved in our cellar, Chateauneuf du Pape, Elizabeth Chambellan, Vieille Vignes, from the great 1998 vintage.
As mentioned before; similitudes with Charleston Places, like Halls Chophouse, was that in both places we had meaty flavors of Bison. Both were as great!
Getting simple; differences are that in NO PLACE IN GREATER ORLANDO- REGRETTABLE- we can enjoy fine music and great ambiance, while fine dining!
The only exception being -Perhaps - that Arp music at great ”Victoria & Albert”
Back to our recipes recount at Ravenous on our latest evenings...seated, as always, on our preferred high booth table, graciously reserved for us.
Most of the times we had their fantastic selection of Charcuterie Board. Few places offer that variety of house-prepare delicacies:
SPRING CITRUS SALUMI, DUCK HAM, LAMB and CHICKEN SAUSAGE, FOIE GRAS MOUSSE, PORK RILLETTES...Abundant, great, fantastic flavored and...at just $23!
As appetizers, while in there, we never miss their TACOS...made out of crispy shrimp, cilantro, avocado, pickled jalapeño and cabbage slaw on soft tortillas. Our only regrets on those tacos is that we really missed their original ones...made out of Lobster.
One of my wife favorites is their ”Mussels”. Always freshly gathered and served with a miso, lemongrass, fennel and sided with nice kumquat toasts. Another great offer that I love is their, hard to find in Orlando foodie places- ”Octopus”, Perfectly cooked on the Grill...Galician style
As the second dish, for me, their ”RABBIT & FOIE GRAS RAVIOLO” great priced at $21. Made with roasted royal trumpet mushrooms, purple Osaka, pickled ramps and smoked pecorino...of course; to be shared
Once we tried, as second courses, a recipe not so common neither frequently offered; ”Chorizo Cod”, with its Spaniard or Portuguese roots, it was as good as having it nearby Rias Baixas in Galician Country. Served with small mussels...a great one that we would love to enjoy more frequently there!
Now...MEAT TIME -AND- PAIRED with those big red Rhone wines:
For my wife; ”LAMB LOIN”...perfectly cooked and better simple seasoned (as it should be) with its elaborated sidings of broccoli puree, heirloom carrots, pickled ramps, crunchy cheddar and a surprising malted yogurt adding the perfect balance to the recipe
Once of those outings I had their classic ”STEAK FRITES”...one of my favorites for its porcini marinated black Angus NY strip and tasty truffle fries
Last time we did REALLY enjoyed their Tomahawk at $110, but once shared with my son and the other time with my godson...simple served on a Board and cooked to perfection!
Before my Maquiatto Cafe, we had- once more time- their Classic Dessert "PIGTAILS" which are their version of the typical Spanish churros, but with original pigtail shaping prepared with warm cinnamon-sugar tossed fritters and chocolate espresso sauce...
Those Ravenous ”Churros” are Perfect with my Cafe...a cafe probably harvested in our dead DR, in the highest mountains of the Caribbean!

No need to say that Ravenous is highly recommended to all food lovers.
Some could think that it's expensive, but it's not; prices are perfectly set for what they are offering in a great setting, sitting, deco, service, great ambiance and even better cuisine!

2  Thank acasasnovasg