“Field Trip”

Tellus Science Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Tellus is a 120,000 square foot science museum located in Cartersville, just north of Atlanta. Tellus Science Museum is a Smithsonian Institute Affiliate Museum, which houses four major galleries - Weinman Mineral Gallery, Fossil Gallery, Science in Motion Gallery, and My Big Back Yard. In addition, the museum includes a fossil dig and gem panning hands-on experience, a planetarium, and an observatory.
Reviewed 9 November 2017

If you are a teacher planning to take a field trip here, please read about our experience below and be aware that a portion of your time here will be dedicated and REQUIRED of you and your students to spend in their gift shop..

I was mostly disappointed in the middle of the trip when we stopped at the gift shop. I only had 3 students who had spending money. I requested to our guide for me to stay outside of the gift shop with the students who did not have any money to spend in the store. I was told that this was not an option and that it was a required part of the program that they ALL go in and spend 10 minutes inside the store. I had to bring 16 six year old children into a store filled with toys,games,and candy that they did not have the money to buy. I feel that the museum should be more sensitive to these kids and not make them walk around a store for 10 minutes with no money. It was also just odd timing to bring them into the gift shop right in the middle of their tour.
I would recommend to Tellus that they rethink the way the gift shop is set up for field trips. This should be optional for students with no spending money. Especially when not all of the students that visit this museum are able to afford to bring spending money with them, which is not their fault.

2  Thank sigmak24
in 10 reviews
"gift shop"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 22 October 2017

Great place for all especially small kids. A smaller version of the Smithsonian, there a great exhibits to see and to explore. it is worth the trip and way north of Atlanta so no traffic.

TellusMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Tellus Science Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Thank you for the great 5 dot review!

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Went with my son and his family today. Excellent exhibits, great room for small ones to interact. Well worth the admission . Around 16 dollars for adults. Places to sit if you get tired.

TellusMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Tellus Science Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thank you for visiting and for the great 5 dot review!

Reviewed 13 October 2017

I purchased an annual membership this year for my grandchildren. The museum hosts several events throughout the year in addition to just going through the museum. This year I took my grandson to the Night at the Museum which had so many movie themed characters from Star Wars, Iron Man, Thor, Indian Jones, etc. The characters pose for photos with all participants and autograph a memory booklet provided by the museum. The costumes were from a production company and the characters treated each person like they were special. My grandson LOVED it. We took all the photos and created a memory book. We have been back multiple times for other events but the Night at the Museum was the best!!!

1  Thank Angie N

Thank you so much for coming to Night at the Museum, but more importantly, for your support by being a member of the museum. We appreciate your kind words and we are thrilled to get to spend the year with you.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 October 2017

We took our two granddaughters to Tellus, expecting to spend an hour or two exploring the museum. From the moment we entered, we had to slow them down. They seemed intrigued by everything they saw. They were first drawn to the transportation exhibit. The earliest cars and motorbikes were fascinating until they saw the space exhibition. They could not stop talking about the intricacies of the controls and how little room the astronauts had. The mineral and gem collections were extensive. The opportunity to pan for precious stones and dig for ancient relics was also a hit. Things were going swimmingly until we got to the Planetarium.......
This was the lowest of the low. It was presented by a member of the staff of the museum. I am sure it was scripted, but half of the time, I wasn't sure if I was hearing a synopsis of Edith Hamilton's Mythology book or about the stars. I have a degree in Physics and she managed to confuse me to the point that I stopped listening. It was so disjointed that I finally understood why, in her opening remarks, she commented that her husband often fell asleep in there. I felt liberated when she ended. The Solar House was a big nothing. Everything was not working, nothing was labeled, just a bummer. If you avoid the last two attractions you are sure to have a wonderful and fun experience.

2  Thank Ilea G
TellusMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Tellus Science Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Thank you so much for visiting Tellus! We are thrilled to hear your granddaughters enjoyed exploring the museum, but disappointed that the Planetarium and Solar House did not meet your expectations. We have forwarded your comments about the Planetarium staff member to the department head. In addition, we appreciate your feedback regarding the Solar House. We will revisit this exhibit to see how we can improve the visitor experience, as well as repair any non-working parts.

Thank you for spending your day with us. We hope you'll be back soon!