“Exceeded our expectations with this special find!”

Tellus Science Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Tellus is a 120,000 square foot science museum located in Cartersville, just north of Atlanta. Tellus Science Museum is a Smithsonian Institute Affiliate Museum, which houses four major galleries - Weinman Mineral Gallery, Fossil Gallery, Science in Motion Gallery, and My Big Back Yard. In addition, the museum includes a fossil dig and gem panning hands-on experience, a planetarium, and an observatory.
Reviewed 16 November 2017

Our family was so impressed with this modern, spacious, informative museum. We stopped by to take a look because our six-year-old loves dinosaurs. Boy, were we all in for a fun surprise! Plenty of information is available for adults and older children to learn something new, but it is also designed to hold a child's interest, including interactive signs. As impressive as the dinosaur fossil exhibit is, I was blown away by the rock and mineral collection. Geology was a special interest to me back in my college days, and this collection is truly remarkable. Another thing I loved about Tellus are the interactive and accessible features for children. Since touching many of the museum's pieces is prohibited, it was wonderful to have some items just for those tactile little hands to explore at will. We enjoyed the tour of original first cars and motorcycles, and replica of the Wright brothers first flyer. The cafe had a really nice selection of ready to eat items, but also a varied selection of hot foods which could be prepared and brought out. Even the gift shop made an impression on us! The staff was welcoming and informative. Items for sale were not overpriced, as I've seen at other science museums. I could have spent the entire day at this "gem" of a museum!

TellusMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Tellus Science Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Thank you so much for such a thoughtful 5 dot review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We hope you'll come back soon!

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"gift shop"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

This place is very impressive for a town like Cartersville Georgia. My husband and daughter and I were blown away by the amount of exhibits. There was more to see and I wish we would’ve given it more time. We will definitely be back.

TellusMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Tellus Science Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Thank you so much for a great 5 dot review! We look forward to visiting with you again soon!

Reviewed 9 November 2017

If you are a teacher planning to take a field trip here, please read about our experience below and be aware that a portion of your time here will be dedicated and REQUIRED of you and your students to spend in their gift shop..

I was mostly disappointed in the middle of the trip when we stopped at the gift shop. I only had 3 students who had spending money. I requested to our guide for me to stay outside of the gift shop with the students who did not have any money to spend in the store. I was told that this was not an option and that it was a required part of the program that they ALL go in and spend 10 minutes inside the store. I had to bring 16 six year old children into a store filled with toys,games,and candy that they did not have the money to buy. I feel that the museum should be more sensitive to these kids and not make them walk around a store for 10 minutes with no money. It was also just odd timing to bring them into the gift shop right in the middle of their tour.
I would recommend to Tellus that they rethink the way the gift shop is set up for field trips. This should be optional for students with no spending money. Especially when not all of the students that visit this museum are able to afford to bring spending money with them, which is not their fault.

2  Thank sigmak24
Reviewed 22 October 2017

Great place for all especially small kids. A smaller version of the Smithsonian, there a great exhibits to see and to explore. it is worth the trip and way north of Atlanta so no traffic.

TellusMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Tellus Science Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Thank you for the great 5 dot review!