Hotel Merdeka
US$31
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 September 2014

Second time I have had to spend time in Madiun and sorry but can't really recommend this hotel, arrived late at night after long car trip from Surabaya and was to tired to change.
I think this hotel was outdated when the built it , strange decor and musty smell, drains in bathroom also smell a little. Limited cable TV but I was so tired so slept well at least very quiet night.
Breakfast really limited and no option for expats, so checked out hungry, would really like some help in finding a good hotel option in Madiun as its a charming city, so peaceful and way less hectic than Jakarta, and its lovely to see children riding to school on bikes .

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank David S
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I believe at one point the hotel was the finest hotel in Madiun. And the managament USED TO do many upgrades to make the hotel up to date, but their effort stopped sometime in early 1980s. So the design and furnishing of the hotels are dating back from early 1980s. Even the door of one room does resemble my grandmother's house!
There are patches of modern element, such as LCD flat screen TV, LED lamps, card key doors, but other than that you would find funny leftovers from bygone era. Even the elevator reminds me with the old Hotel Indonesia elevators which I used to rode back in 1983!
With the arrival of a more modern competitor nearby, this hotel definitely had to be knocked down and replaced with newer building.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed one night in this Hotel last weekend due to a big family gathering and a wedding. I made a last minute reservation through agoda, and quite happy that at least I still managed to get a room albeit the price. Needless to say, everything is basic - and the basic level is on the mediocre side. Basic beds, basic amenities, basic bathroom... They do have fox movies on their tv channel though, which we found as the only entertaining thing about the room. The hot shower takes time to heat up, so you'll need to wait approx 5 mins until you got your hot water - and you need to keep the shower running while waiting - what a waste of resources.

This hotel has room service, pools, breakfast provided - all which me and husband decided to skip.

Anyhow, since we had families from all over the country who were coming over for the wedding and they were staying on different hotels, I and mr husband get to see what other hotel in madiun looks like...and somehow we're still grateful we stayed in Hotel Merdeka.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wini R
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Old hotel with high price. My oldest kid (10 yo) couldn't sleep, she said its spooky and i felt the same especially at the bathroom.
Just stay over for a night, didn't plan before because we're too tired after 6 hours drive and my friend said that this hotel is the best in town.
The best is only the location in the heart of city, between some shopping center.

Room Tip: No good room, Please stay just for emergency case
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Yuni L
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I came to madiun for work duty and i planned to stay in Merdeka hotel because my friend told me this is the best hotel in town. Actually, i thought this is spooky hotel that i ever visited because the all coridor, the room, and loby is dark & too quiet. Dont ever try stayed at this hotel if you just came alone :P. Overall, The room is less hygienic, wide enough, the staff is quite friendly & helpfull, and the breakfast quite yummy. for the location, Merdeka hotel is quite strategic. You can reach shopping center, bank, atm, or gift shop by walking around.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business