“Unique experience and good food”
Review of The Corkscrew Cafe - CLOSED

The Corkscrew Cafe
Price range: US$10 - US$36
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located just off the square in Dahlonega next to the Historic Holly Theater, the Corkscrew Cafe offers American Cuisine with a modern and creative twist. Trout, Eggplant Mascarpone and Nut Crusted Pork Chop are a few of our signature items as well as Steaks, Appetizers and "To Die For" Desserts! The extensive wine list features Georgia wines, as well as other quality selections from around the world. The dining room and patio make an ideal setting for casual fine dining and good times with friends, family and business associates. Live music on most Friday and Saturday nights. Monthly Wine Diners and Tastings available. Large Parties welcomed, reservations recommended. "Dining with a Twist" for 12 years in North Georgia. Come join Us!
Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

The Corkscrew has a unique dining area in the basement - the site of Dahlonega's former jail cells. One cell is converted to a wine cellar.

I had bacon wrapped dates (excellent) and sriracha chicken dip (good, but spicier than I prefer). Service was great, especially considering that I was tucked away downstairs and around the corner, but I did go during a slow time between lunch and dinner.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

We were disappointed in our meal. We had eaten at this restaurant on previous trips and all of us were looking forward to it. It was not the same. My filet mignon was tender but not tasty. My friends had spinach salads. The menu advertised them as having cheese, pecans and fruit. Those items were hard to find in the salads which were mostly spinach. Almost no ice was in our glasses of water and tea. No bread was served with the meal however we did see some on another table. However, the wait staff was friendly and nice if somewhat overworked. We probably won't come back here next time.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

While this place has a cool looking feel and vibe and a great location, and unique food we weren't really that impressed. To me it seemed a little overpriced for the small dishes. We did get to taste some pretty cool things. We went there for dinner and the press way back in the corner off to the side where there was no one else seated. My boys eight and nine do very well and restaurants but there was absolutely nothing for them to look at or to draw on so they were a little bored. I don't blame that on the restaurant, I should've brought something though. But we did enjoy going to the bathroom - it was a converted old jail cell. Overall it Seems like it's more of a romantic place to go.

Reviewed 10 April 2017

Had appetizers and drinks in the lounge on at Friday at 5:30pm. Requested to eat outside in the back, but staff said, no, that we should go to the lounge for Tapas. So inside we went, even though it was a lovely Spring early evening and we preferred to sit outside.

The interiors colors were depressing, Rooms are awkward at best. Was dirty and very difficult to move around the scattered furniture. Small area appropriate for 3 groups at most. My husband hit his head on light hanging too low when standing up from the low chair to leave.

Wine list was interesting. Tapas menu was also interesting. We ordered a Savignon Blank Chateau Cantelaudette with the long stemmed artichoke tapa and homemade chips. Waitress commented that the artichoke was her favorite. She returned in a few mins and said they were out of the artichokes (it's only 5:30pm) so I went with the Indonesian Vegetable Stir fry at her suggestion. We tried the homemade chips, which were very crispy (bordering on burned) served with a ranch-ish sauce. Just ok. The Indonesian Vegetable Stir fry had the fresh veggies drowning in the peanut sauce.

While our son is in school at the University, we will be making several trips to Dahlonega. But we can cross this one off our list.

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

The quality of the food was very poor considering the price. We had duck and pork chops that were both over cooked. Would not go back.