“I had high hopes and was dissappointed.”
Review of El Agave - CLOSED

El Agave
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 31 July 2011

When I visited, they had opened a month prior. It was the family's second restaurant and I thought "ooh, succesful and run by a Mexican family, it's going to be great!" Well I was wrong.

The restaurant was very clean (non-smoking) and open and they had a tiny bar. I was alone so I sat there and had a tequila while waiting for my carry-out. (It is THE only bar in town!) The owner and family are very friendly and I had a nice time with them while waiting. They were generous with the tequila and homemade chips and salsa while I was there. They also gave me some fresh to take with me as an accompaniment to the meal.

I ordered a chicken quesadilla with a side of guacomole and a tamale. The quesadilla was ok, though it wasn't really seasoned, just meat & cheese grilled in a small flour tortilla folded over and it was very small.
The guacomole was also pretty bland.
The tamale was inedible so I gave it to my dog (she liked it). It was pre-made at goodness knows what earlier date, removed from it's husk and microwaved. I think they microwaved it when it was frozen, because it was zapped for a long enough time that the edges were completely dried and rock hard. There were no chilis seasoning the masa and no chili sauce, They covered it w/ very greasy ground beef and it was topped w/ white American cheese. I have never seen a tamale served this way before and I hope I never do again! Bland bland bland

They do have a pretty good menu and the prices were very reasonable. If you were jonesing for a little Mexican flavor, I say give it a go, and season it yourself w/ salsa, the food WAS fresh... but stay away from the tamales!!

There are newer reviews for El Agave