“The red taco trailer on Atlanta Highway”

El Carreton Mexican Taqueria
Ranked #94 of 268 Restaurants in Gainesville
Price range: US$5 - US$9
Description: El Carreton first opened it’s doors in 1994 to the city of Gainesville, Ga. Proudly serving traditional family recipes using only the freshest ingredients with a smile. Thanks to the fastest growing community in North Ga for graciously going outside the box and being a part of our food revolution. Come experience the best little gem on Atlanta Hwy!
Reviewed 21 June 2017

Home of the best tortas in the Universe! That's what the banner on the building reads.
A torta is j sandwich,usually on a wide hoagie roll. The one I ordered was good, but no different from any other one I have eaten. I have heard it has been a popular fast food restaurant, but it was not fast for me. I wandered into the tiny blue store next to the trailer and looked at the sparse shelves of sweets and salty snacks. I wondered how this store breaks even. It was a quick tour. I returned to the trailer door. There was only one wooden picnic table next to the red trailer, it was fully occupied by odorous laborers. I stood around and waited for my food. By the time I was served, the laborers were gone and I enjoyed my torta in the style the previous tenants were accustomed to. I haven't been back, the environment is not what I would prefer for lunch. I like air conditioned spaces. This is take out only. This trailer has been referred to by local folks as the "Pink Taco Hut". It is a couple miles north of the "Blue Taco Hut". They are both very similar.

Angel R, Public Relations Manager at El Carreton Mexican Taqueria, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Thank you for the review!

Reviewed 14 March 2017

After visiting Tijuana several times on mission trips and enjoying the taco stands I found this place and now go there often! The tacos are just like the ones we get south of the border and the horchata is very good as well!

Angel R, Manager at El Carreton Mexican Taqueria, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2017

Thank you MIke, for your review have you tried our Cuban Tortas they are the best

Reviewed 8 October 2016 via mobile

This place is so good that I went twice the same week I found it. It's like a food truck with a back deck. They advertise the best tortas in the universe and let me tell you they deliver. I've had the roasted pork tortas and the carne asada tortas. Both were excellent and very inexpensive.

I would highly recommend this place the tortas are out of this world...

Reviewed 14 March 2016

The food is good but not as good as it used to be. The location is terrible in a rougher part of town. I don't feel unsafe but the area is rundown. The restaurant is a smal red trailer with a grill inside. Nice people but sometimes they don't speak good english so that can be a small problem.

Reviewed 8 August 2015 via mobile

One of the top places in Gainesville. Must come and bring all your friends and family. It's limited English but that's what makes it great!! I have been here 7 times and will come back!!!