“A getaway estate”

Malihom Private Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Balik Pulau
Reviewed 19 October 2016

If you are looking for a quiet getaway to recharge your batteries then this is it. It is beautifully placed on top of a hill at the back of Penang. It is a small estate and very private with not much else to do but relax, swim and get massages. I will say that they need to work on their food menu, it has a very little selection. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NDW82

Reviewed 1 October 2016 via mobile

First of all, this is not Ur usual resort. What u r paying for is its location not quite the rooms or amenities. It's set amidst trees so what it comes with is definitely bugs, mosquitoes and ants. I've even had a baby snake at my private garden! But hey, I love it. It only means that they hv a healthy ecosystem in this place.

It's a place where u disconnect from the world to have some quiet time.
I do think the place could be better maintained. it's not super clean but decent. The majority of the staff spoke little English which I had a little concerned of in case of an emergency in the middle of the night.

I would say, 2day stay will be ideal. Do note, u either get sun rise or sunset view from Ur barn. Not both. I guess u shud check n request to avoid disappointment.

Lunch and dinner menu are the same and there's limited selection. If u drive, u can always head down to balik pulau town which is about 15min away. The manager was kind enough to suggest us what and where to eat.

As malihom is set on a hill quite, it's best to hv dinner on location as the roads heading down hill are dark.I tried the Burmese food. It was very similar to our local food just a little too oily for my liking.

My only qualms for this place is the rules that are written. The wordings felt very unwelcoming.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PearlPatches
Reviewed 26 September 2016

What more can I say that hasn't been said.... I agree with the previous reviews about Malihom. My guests from Germany enjoyed themselves very much, especially the views form the east and west. There is something which I hope you could do, the flushing system of one room wasn't working . It was not a nice sight ! The service staffs very simply wonderful, to say the least. Ah, yes, the wifi was not working. i could not get a signal even from my data plan. A place of peace and tranquiality. Had a simple breakfast,
western lunch and Burmese dinner.Food is alright but not cheap .

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank popeyenolive8
Reviewed 25 September 2016

we stayed here for four nights and I would definitely recommend it. The place is on top of a hill in Penang, about 30 minutes from the airport. In order to get from the highway to the estate, you drive for about 10 minutes up switchbacks, so you end up on top of a hill with views to both sides of the island. We had a sunset view, but actually the view that was 'sunrise' was my preferred view, as you could see the taller buildings and the bridge to the mainland. The best part of this place was the staff. They were so incredibly friendly and kind. We did a few days of hiking and they arranged transport for us, which was great. we had one taxi driver in particular who took us to lunch at a local fishing village and showed us around the local boats, which is an experience we could not have had on our own and was great. we ate lunch out during our hikes and had dinner at the hotel every night. We've stayed at a number of these types of resorts in Southeast Asia and the dinner here was the best we've had. The first night was a bit boring, but once we spoke with the chef and told him what we liked, the Burmese food was incredibly flavorful. You have to insist on wanting spicy food (which wasn't that spicy, just good). Breakfast was fine, but not too exciting. just eggs and fruit. The pool was clean and nice, with an incredible view.

The caveats - this is not a luxury hotel, even though it is priced like one. we were there in September and experienced heavy rain at night, which meant that our room (with screened slatted windows) was continually damp. Other details were a bit rough around the edges - for example, our bathroom door didn't lock (or close) unless you were inside, which meant we had more bugs in there than we would like. There were quite a few bugs outside, but it wasn't a problem in the room while we were sleeping. There were a number of flies at breakfast. The wifi was intermittent (we didn't care about this at all, but others did). And finally, because the place is so quiet and serene, it's really noticable when other people's phones are sounding during dinner. This may sound like a detail, but if the point is to relax and get away, other people's phone are not helping. Overall, I think this is a unique place with an incredibly kind staff, that was a bit pricey. If you don't mind the price and get your expectations right, it's a great place to spend a few nights. I would suggest 2-3 nights, whereas most guests only stayed one. I felt like I got used to the character and quirks of the place by staying longer and therefore enjoyed it more. It's a great place to get away from it all and turn off for a few days.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tkl112
Reviewed 18 September 2016

Maliholm is located hidden away on a hilltop in the Balik Pulau area of Penang and offers stunning views of the sea as well as the lights of Bayan Lepas and the Penang bridge at night. We thoroughly enjoyed the amazing scenery, the lush nature with plenty of fruit trees around the estate, as well as the rustic but well-maintained accommodation in tree-house style villas. Breakfaost was included (Western food), and there was the option of having lunch and dinner at the estate as well, which we only did on our last night, and thoroughly enjoyed.

The staff was amazing as well, always helpful and extremely friendly. I can't thank those guys enough for making our stay so comfortable.

A fair warning however, the road up the hill is not for the faint of heart. The road is steep and narrow, and with hindsight, we should have opted for the pickup service straight away instead of dricing a rental car up there.

Room Tip: Each villa is unique and offers different views.