My family, including our 2.5 old daughter, stayed at Malihom for 2 nights. We would recommend this place to those who want a quiet base to explore the island. This isn't your typical hotel. Actually, I think Malihom calls itself a 4 star resort, which doesn't feel like an accurate description and actually sells it short, in my opinion. It's more like a 4 star retreat, a small estate with 7 renovated Thai rice barns. The barn we stayed in was Khanun and it provided excellent morning views. It had one large bed and one twin bed. The house itself was comfortable, but, like the rest of the grounds, not so manicured (and how I would think of "4 star resorts") that it loses its charm. And there's a lot of charm. The bathroom is partly open (privacy not an issue though) and the water you bath in comes from the estate's own natural spring. Bugs were not an issue for us. We had 4 meals at Malihom. The food was generally good, with some dishes more enjoyable than others. Surprisingly, we really liked the soups and the salmon with lemongrass and papaya salsa. We also enjoyed the Burmese dinner. There was a depth of flavors that I didn't expect. The staff who work on the grounds were so accommodating and kind. Myel (sp?), Jeff, etc were very warm. This not a cheap place, but it is one of those special places that, if you're looking for peace and quiet, may stay with you for a while after you leave. Logistically, we paid for airport pick up as we heard the steep hill was difficult with most cars. I'm glad we did airport pick up. On rainy days, that would not be a fun drive. Expenses can add up, of course, if you keep taking airport pick up. I heard some others saying that they take the free hill transfer and then order an Uber down the hill. My only suggestion for improvement would be to offer a few choices for kids meals. Just one or two. Staff were really kind and made sure my picky eater had something to eat. I was glad we brought her snacks to munch on throughout the day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Malihom, a private estate, perched on the crest of the southern end of Penang, offers a tranquil getaway. Our unique location offers stunning and uninterrupted panoramas from every room, providing all our guests with ever-changing but always immense and breathtaking views. The fresh air, myriad sounds of the birds and stunning views are a feast for your senses whilst delighting in our array of home cooked cuisine and carefully selected collection of wines. We are an intimate boutique Retreat offering a more personal style of service and an intimate atmosphere that is only found in boutique establishments. The estate comprises a cluster of traditional Thai rice barns which have been carefully converted with modern comforts while respecting traditional charms. There are generous indoor and outdoor seating areas to allow guests to soak in the views and the cool breeze from the horizon as well as yoga and holistic therapies offering an array of relaxing treatments. At the hub of the estate lies the main wing which centers the reception, dining and living areas. The barns are linked to the main wing by way of footpaths. Each barn, with its own unique character has a private garden or a deck. This arrangement provides guests with privacy and seclusion. Our unique picturesque settings will provide that unforgettable difference to any occasion whether a romantic stay for two, group vacation, a Conference venue with an edge or a unique Wedding reception to reminisce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Malihom Private Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malihom Private Estate Hotel Penang Island
- Malihom Private Estate Penang, Malaysia