“Forgettable”
Review of Barbara Jean's

Barbara Jean's
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Reviewed 10 May 2018

I would encourage Barbara Jean's to rename the she crab soup to . . . maybe crab chowder. Anyone who has had really good she crab is going to expect something amazing, that is garnished with a splash of sherry. This was an alright crab chowder, but it does not live up to what the name she crab soup conjures.

I'm surprised that they have a mail-order business for their crab cakes. I have had delicious crab cakes that were firm patties that included very little filler, a touch of Old Bay, and lightly fried. These were the opposite.

The dessert was terrible. I was served the cobbler of the day, which was strawberry. I love strawberries, and cobbler, and the strawberries were stewed to within an inch of their life. They globbed a mass of whipped cream on top - I think to try to disguise the hideous dessert underneath. Perhaps Barbara Jean's cooking style is just not my thing.

The meal I was served was completely forgettable, and I would never eat here again. Basically, if I was hungry, but this was the only place open, I would just go hungry. I know this sounds harsh, but I'm being honest. It is hard when there are so many good reviews, and you see the random bad review, and you think, "Oh, something went wrong there because look at all of those good reviews!" You think the bad review is an outlier. Maybe my taste buds are out of step with everyone elses, but - anyway, go somewhere else.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,461)

Reviewed 8 May 2018

Service was fast. We had wonderful waitstaff. The food was excellent. The crab cakes are amazing. Vegetables are better than even grandma ever made! Would I go again? Yes; next time I am even close to St. Simon's Is., I will eat there.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

We went here because we heard about the crab cakes which were delicious with little fillers and generous. They didn’t disappoint. The battered fried cod was also excellent and generous. Definitely not a place to miss on the Island

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Went to see the lighthouse and the found tho gem near the beach and pier by following a couple of other families. Friendly staff took time to let us peruse the menu, told us about their specials and brought us some fresh baked jalapeno cornbread and pumpkin bread. She took our orders, and recommended we save room for their home made peach cobbler.
A great suggestion -- we ordered the large size, which was enough for the three of us, and was probably the best I've ever had!

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Good crab cakes ! Country style cooking with southern vegetables. Red beans and rice week really good. Nothing special about the inside design,