“Can’t get enough of this place!”
Review of Barbara Jean's

Barbara Jean's
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Where do I start with this place, we all loved eating at Barbara Jean's Restaurant. We spent two weeks on the island while attending classes in Brunswick. This place was our go to for dinner. We have enjoyed various items from the menu. My favorite is shrimp and grits, dirty rice was really good. We enjoyed onion rings for everyone and cheese fries. You must get the onion rings for sure. The she crab soup is out of this world good, lots of crab in this soup. They provide a dish of various breads for dinner which has a really good corn bread. The other guys really enjoyed the blackened catfish and the chicken fried chicken. You will leave full for sure because the portions are really good. They also have New Belgium 1554 beer on tap which is one of my favorite. I will really miss Barbara Jean's Restaurant. You never know if I'll be back visiting SSI and Brunswick in the future, but if I am I will be here for sure.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,447)

Reviewed 11 May 2018

We were told it would be a 15 minute wait for a table, but that bar-seating was available. We chose that option, but noted that people after us were seated much quicker than that. They were accommodating when it came to the menu, and the food was good, but my BLT was slathered with butter before grilling making it greasy to handle. My husband forgot to ask for mayo for his burger when he ordered and no one checked back soon enough for it. Very busy place with beer on tap and full-service bar.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

I would encourage Barbara Jean's to rename the she crab soup to . . . maybe crab chowder. Anyone who has had really good she crab is going to expect something amazing, that is garnished with a splash of sherry. This was an alright crab chowder, but it does not live up to what the name she crab soup conjures.

I'm surprised that they have a mail-order business for their crab cakes. I have had delicious crab cakes that were firm patties that included very little filler, a touch of Old Bay, and lightly fried. These were the opposite.

The dessert was terrible. I was served the cobbler of the day, which was strawberry. I love strawberries, and cobbler, and the strawberries were stewed to within an inch of their life. They globbed a mass of whipped cream on top - I think to try to disguise the hideous dessert underneath. Perhaps Barbara Jean's cooking style is just not my thing.

The meal I was served was completely forgettable, and I would never eat here again. Basically, if I was hungry, but this was the only place open, I would just go hungry. I know this sounds harsh, but I'm being honest. It is hard when there are so many good reviews, and you see the random bad review, and you think, "Oh, something went wrong there because look at all of those good reviews!" You think the bad review is an outlier. Maybe my taste buds are out of step with everyone elses, but - anyway, go somewhere else.

Reviewed 8 May 2018

Service was fast. We had wonderful waitstaff. The food was excellent. The crab cakes are amazing. Vegetables are better than even grandma ever made! Would I go again? Yes; next time I am even close to St. Simon's Is., I will eat there.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

We went here because we heard about the crab cakes which were delicious with little fillers and generous. They didn’t disappoint. The battered fried cod was also excellent and generous. Definitely not a place to miss on the Island