“Great empanadas, fried plantains, and service in a huge, versatile space”
Review of Coco Cabana

Coco Cabana
Ranked #10 of 133 Restaurants in Tucker
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 1 December 2016

This is a sleek, modern night club that doubles as a Cuban restaurant - unique. Occupies a very large space in the Northlake Festival Shopping Center, just off Lavista Road near 285, behind the Chick-fil-A.

In the area to see a world class podiatrist, my husband and I love Cuban food and were happy to find this place. It was 6pm on a rainy Wednesday evening on the last day of November, and this shopping center was quiet. As we rounded the corner past Jason's Deli, the lighted Coco Cabana sign came into view, but the place looked dark, so at first we wondered if it was closed. However, I then spotted a lighted "open" sign above one of the doors. After parking conveniently in front, we passed a large, dark section with locked double doors (the dance club section) to reach the "open" door, where there was a sidewalk sign board holding party balloons. Just inside is a large host/hostess station, where we were greeted and seated immediately. Saw a small group of millenials enjoying drinks and chatting - we think they were the ones celebrating a special occasion. There were just a few other people there, and it is really dark since it is a night club with dance floors, 2 bars, and space for group events, so we felt a bit awkward, but the friendly server put us at ease.

I ordered the empanadas (listed as an appetizer) and chose one each of white cheese, ground beef, and shredded chicken - all delicious. They were very similar to the ones I enjoyed at Papi's in midtown. Also on the plate here at Coco Cabana was a little cup of a tasty sauce that was like thousand island dressing, plus some mixed field greens as garnish, which I enjoyed combining as a salad - a nice bonus. I really enjoyed this as my meal. Yum!
Hubby ordered the picadillo ground beef entree that came with rice, black beans, and fried plantains. We were glad that each item of this entree was served in a separate dish so it could be mixed according to preference. Beef was greasy, but each item was tasty and portions were generous. Hubby also ordered a classic margarita, but was not impressed - no salt on glass rim and he said it was weak. However, that is a Mexican drink, not Cuban.
I wish we had tried a mojito - since that is a Cuban drink it is probably very well done here.

The menu offers a large variety of interesting things - several items that caught my eye were the house made tropical chicken salad; house salad minus the olives and onions (it says it has strawberries in it and a homemade raspberry vinaigrette - sounds delicious); shrimp in homemade pineapple bechamel sauce plus parmesan cheese; the classic Cuban sandwich, Cuban cheese soup topped with beef; natural fruit juices; unique flavors of creme brulee - coconut or pineapple; and the mango pie.
It would take quite a few visits to try all of those things!

I can imagine that this is a very different place on the weekends when they have many group celebrations, free salsa dancing lessons, and a full club atmosphere. It seems like a fun place for a large group event like a company Christmas party, a big birthday bash, etc.
I hope to return sometime - wish it was nearer to my home.

Reviewed 4 October 2016

Very nice place with ample parking, friendly staff, beautiful decor, delicious food and a dance floor. This was my first visit, but it definitely won't be my last. Viva la Salsa Sundays!

Reviewed 30 August 2016

This is an interesting restaurant in a strip mall off Lavista drive. The outside is low key but once you walk through the doors to realize the space is HUGE. The night we were there they were having dance lessons because at 11PM the place becomes a Cuban nightclub with a DJ and dancing. This is really quite a hidden gem.
The food was absolutely delicious. The problem is the service - everything took forever to come out of the kitchen. We were only one of about 10 tables ordering food but it took about an hour from when we ordered to when the food came out to us. The food was hot so we know it just came off the line - but it was still the awiting that was the problem. If the owners could train the wait staff and speed up the kitchen they would have a real money maker on their hands!

Reviewed 13 August 2016

Fun place to drink and they give dancing lessons for free. But the food is only average. It is a night club at night and restaurants during the day. They sometimes have live entertainment . Will go back and try the food again.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

I keep going back to this place because the food is excellent, the service is always friendly, and the prices are exceptional. It is open for lunch and dinner, and has music and dancing on weekends. There is plenty of easy parking in this strip mall lot.