“Needed Tacos”

Monterrey Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 136 Restaurants in Tucker
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Hi all, so...I was coming off my 30 for 30 with my Future and she was like..Babe, you want tacos (My favorite dish). Sure. We asked the hotel and they gave us 4 different places. Then, this one staff was like " you want some real tacos and they good." Well, let's just say...THEY WERE GREAT. This place was good for chicken tacos and she had chicken nachos..we just came of the diet so..I'm like this is super good because we just came off. NOPE, this spot is the BOMB. Then, they give you extra bag of chips and dip with each order. And, try there black beans and rice...mmmmmmmm....MAAAANNNN. My new spot to visit every time I'm here. Need to find out if they have one up here in Chicago. IJS. Great food all. Great prices and they had little pieces of chocolate, 2 for a quarter...jackpot....

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

What can I say. I lost the bet on where to go for dinner. I was pushing for better restaurants in the neighborhood, but the winner of the bet chose Monterrey.

Everything about this restaurant is either good, pretty good or very good, except the food.

The building is large and can accommodate singles, doubles, triples, quads, parties and everything in between. The patio is lovely and should be your destination during nice weather. Dining inside is nice as well. The service is good either way.
The menus have a wide selection, including their new Rice bowls.

I stuck with the tried and true bean burrito/cheese enchilada/rice combination dinner, my wife got a veggie rice bowl and my son got a shrimp rice bowl. My combo platter tasted like any combo platter in any Mexican restaurant anywhere in this country. Only it had a bitter taste to it that is hard to define. My vegetarian wife was picking out stray pieces of shrimp from her veggie rice bowl. Fortunately our son was eager to take them, as he was having difficulty finding the rice in his rice bowl. I verified it was there, but not abundant. For dessert, the flan was very good.

I will be the first to point out two things: we chose to go to this restaurant (knowing it was not very good- see note above re: lost the bet) and secondly, the neighborhood patrons accept this crap on a platter. Apparently, they make Margueritas strong enough to make the food seem better than it is. If alcohol is required to make the food acceptable, then reconsideration is in order.

This is a great place to hang out on the patio, visit with friends, enjoy the neighborhood, support local business, etc. I just hope you eat before you come- preferably at one of the better nearby options.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

My husband and I went out for a date night. We hadn't been to Monterrey's for years. We shared the fajita combo meal. There was enough for lunch the next day! The margaritas are delicious. A bit noisy. Fast service once you are seated.

Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

I had the chicken and steak tacos. The steak came out more like ground beef, I'm not sure if that was a mix up or if that was the way they are. My partner had the carne asada which he didn't like. All was well until my chips came back with a piece of straw with sauce on it which makes me question the sanitary conditions of everything. Perhaps it was a honest mistake. May try one more time with them. One thing I didn't like was our waiter only dropped the food off and I didn't see him until the end. Oh, and the Queso was very good.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

The food here is always great, and the service even better. Our family has, more than once, chosen this restaurant for Sunday lunch because of the fast and friendly service. We usually have children with us, so a short wait time is appreciated. And of course the food is fantastic, the atmosphere is pleasant and clean. We will be back!!!