All reviews rainforest camp insect repellent survival skills leeches borneo nature insects stream chalet moon protein pit environment chris bat
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 October 2019

Great place to stay in the heart of the jungle. I felt like home all the time. Moon - our host ans guide was like an encyclopedia. We learnt how to drink water, how to make fire, had a great chance to see lot of night animals :)

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 22 August 2019 via mobile

Girlfriend and I had a great time in Lupa Masa rainforest camp. Guys are awesome and funny. Food is very good, beds in chalets are ok, very basic, but that is completing jungle experience. Survival skills are also very interesting. We got free cooking lessons :)

All reccomendations and big greetings for Moon, Chris and Audre ;)

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed 16 July 2019

We went to lupa masa without any preparation or briefing and were a bit surprised at the complete "back to basics" nature of the camp. At first, as people who live in a major city, we were shocked at how unprepared we were, but along the way, we became extremely happy with our experience and would gladly do it again. The manager, Mun (Moon), is a certified ranger, is extremely helpful, and provides great lessons as to how to function and survive in the wild. You should have him tell you the kind of training it requires in order to become a ranger in Borneo. The other staff, Adry and Chris, are also very friendly and always seem to be smiling and laughing. Just by being around everyone and seeing their lifestyle, you learn how to escape the stress of daily life and be happy in nature. By the way, Chris is a very good cook. It's also worth mentioning that this camp is vegetarian, so the protein you receive is from beans and eggs. The meals are great, and we sometimes asked for more, which made us feel a little bad because they carried all the supplies from the village. And if you are very friendly, Mun may just cook you his specialty meal, which my fiancée and I devoured. And just to be prepared, don't bring any meat into the rainforest, but we'll let the staff tell you why. To truly enjoy this experience, be open-minded and creative and try your best to offer many ideas during the survival skills classes. The cabin we stayed in was extremely nice, situated atop a river bank, surrounded by the lush forest, with a great view of a rushing... it's too small to be a river but too big to be a stream. Anyway, you are thrown into the wild with only the basics, so if you are expecting some sort of glamping experience, this is not the place for you, but if you want a truly educational rainforest experience with a helpful staff, organic, local food, and a bat that flies around the dinner table eating the insects, this is your kind of place.

PS. We came with really only our sketchbooks and journals, but we recommend respecting the place and bringing organic insect repellent.

Date of stay: June 2019
Reviewed 13 January 2019

Contact via email was good and I decided on a 3D/2N stay.... but I ended up staying just 1 night...

I arrived at Non Ling restaurant and 3 people were waiting for me. We had something to eat before we went to the camp, so we were there for about an hour. The 3 staff were friendly and lauging... but only with eachother and speaking Malayan (which I don't speak), so I felt a bit left out already.

Then we walked to the camp, and I talked with intern Gilven. He turned out to be a VERY friendly guy and he told me about himself, his family and the history of Borneo. The next day he also thought me some survival skills, so that was nice. So noting bad about him!

The camp itself is simpel, but I knew that when I booked. The food is not bad at all.
Yes, there are mosquitos and leeches, but that didn't bother me that much.

Then what was the reason I left early:
I was the only visitor here and the staff didn't really make me feel welcome.
Also, the trails around the camp are quite short,because you are not allowed in the National Park (but the camp is really close to that), so during the day, there is not much to do.

Also, on the first night, they found 2 rats in a bin. They told me they would release them far from camp (which I replied that the rats would be back quicker then the staff itself)
The next moring I found the rats still in the bin, but with a few inches of water in it and smoke comming out of the bin (from cigarettes and/or charcoal). I talked to the main guy and he was joking laughing that torturing them would make sure the did not come back.....
I understand that you don't want rats in your camp, but you are in nature and you have food around, so what do you expect?
Also, if he would just have killed the rats, I would be OK with that, but first telling me they would release them and then smiling when you talk about torture, I got a really bad feeling and I did not want to stay.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
TopPeakTraveler, Marketing Manager at Lupa Masa Rainforest Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2019

We are very sorry your stay was not satisfactory. We strive to make the experience for our guests as good as possible and when that doesn't happen, we take it seriously. We appreciate honest feedback like yours as it helps us to understand where we can improve.
Our staff making a joke about torturing rats was completely unacceptable and we have discussed at length with him why that sort of joke is not appropriate. Lupa Masa is a place for animal and nature lovers and a joke about torturing rats is not in line with our principles.
We are now taking measures to mitigate rats getting in to the bins, more so than we were before. Relocating them is not a viable solution and I would like to share with you the reason why.

Rats, along with a few other small mammals occur in high density in the jungles of Borneo. Lupa Masa is no exception. There is at least 20 species of rats in the Lupa Masa area, many of which can adapt to living near humans. Typically, the density of rats in the jungle far outweighs the density of other mammals. This means rats are the most common mammal at Lupa Masa. The same is true for most jungle locations in Borneo.

Given the high number of species and the high densities of rats, it's not reasonable that we can relocate the rats, because other rats would move in.

Our best option is to work even harder to ensure rats cannot access the rubbish bins. Additionally, we will continue to work with our staff to do a better job of sharing the facts about rats in the jungle with our guests and the options we have for preventing them from becoming a nuisance.

Once again, thanks for your comments. It helps to know where we can make improvements to make Lupa Masa a great place.

Reviewed 5 January 2019 via mobile

We stayed at Lupa Masa Rainforest camp for one night and were the only ones there. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this unique experience for everyone.

The staff was very nice and kept us company.

The air is very humid so clothes doesn’t dry. I suggest you bring extra socks with you since your feet might get wet.

Date of stay: January 2019