“Good BBQ and great cornbread”

Pitmaster BarBQue Company
Ranked #17 of 227 Restaurants in Idaho Falls
Price range: US$7 - US$22
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: The Pitmaster BarBQue Company first began when owner Rob Harding got started cooking BBQ in Terre Haute, Indiana. Since then, Rob has traveled all over the Midwest sampling ribs, brisket, and pulled pork in order to gain experience and knowledge in order to perfect his technique and recipes. As his expertise in the BBQ industry grew, so did his motivation and desire to become a creator of world-class BBQ. After countless experiments and trials, Rob went out and bought a small water smoker and started making delicious ribs. Rob's first break occurred when he was offered to cater a rehearsal dinner. Coincidentally enough, some of the bride's family members had been judges at the 'Memphis in May Cookoff', one of the largest invitational cook-offs in the world. "Don't change a thing!" And "We loved the ribs" were just a few of the flattering remarks heard by the guests at this very first event. All it took were those responses to know that it was time to get cooking.
Reviewed 15 July 2016

As stated in the title, the bbq was very good. Proper smoke ring on the brisket and pork, chicken had a great taste and not overpowering. Sauces were above par with many bbq locations we have sampled around the country. Honey bourbon was our favorite. Now the dessert was the cornbread. Very creamy and yet still substantial not to crumble from cutting or using a fork.
Restaurant was clean and staff knew their product. Will definitely be back with our travels.

1  Thank Chris A

Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

We have been to all 50 states and dozens of countries...This is by far the best BBQ we have tasted.
I can't believe this place is in Idaho Falls of all places.
Whenever we head to Wyoming, we will stop by.
Today was Saturday so we were lucky enough to be able to try the burnt ends...they were amazing; not fatty at all.
I can't wait to return.

1  Thank MinervaNichole
Rob H, Owner at Pitmaster BarBQue Company, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2016

Thanks so much for stopping in and for the great review. We look forward to next time. Safe travels.

Reviewed 25 June 2016 via mobile

When you walk in you will see a number of awards from a number of different competitions. My wife and I are BBQ judges and have even judged in a number of the competitions they have cooked in. We were in Idaho Falls on our way to a competition in Montana. I do not know if I have ever tasted his BBQ before since all judging is blind.

First thing the is a huge difference between competition BBQ and restaurant BBQ. The biggest difference between the two is the restaurant BBQ is almost alway over cooked. That is ok that is generally what people dinning out like. We judged their food based on restaurant taste and not competition.

We had two meat plates with one side and cornbread. We got all 4 meats so we could try everything. Meat come out with a little sauce on them I agree with other comments I have seen I wish that the came I out with no sauce. There is sauce on table I can pick my own flavor thank you.

Chicken was great I would rate 5 stars for BBQ chicken. It was very slightly over cooked but great flavor.

Ribs over cooked but not falloff the bones over cooked. Had good flavor. Rate 4 stars.

Brisket cook just the way I like it. Very tender not mushy. Flavor was a little lacking. I did not really taste any smoke. I would rate 3.5 stars

Pulled pork was horribly over cooked. I think it was likely copped well in advance of serving so it was really dry. Not a good combination mushy and dry.. Rate 1 star. I would not eat pulled pork again here.

Sides
Brisket beans were great 5 stars
Mac and cheese also great 5 stars
Corn bread I wish it was warm but it was good 4 stars.

I would go back.

1  Thank Davi P
Reviewed 16 June 2016 via mobile

The restaurant is clean and attractive. The staff polite and attentive. And the barbecue tender and smokey. Very good. Took a bottle of their sauce home.

Reviewed 8 June 2016

Was on the road to Yellowstone and stopped at Pitmaster. Someone told us we had to stop there to eat. The food was amazing. I had the brisket. It was so good with great smokey flavor. I loved trying all their different sauces. Their fries were fresh and hot. You could see them cutting the fries while you order. So yummy. Loved their fresh baked goods for afterwards. They had homemade peanut butter bars. It was better than a Reese's. I will be definitely going back on my next trip to Idaho.

3  Thank arynne2016