“Very disappointed”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bensenville
Reviewed 14 September 2017

I have no real complaints about the hotel itself. The shuttle service was exceptional, and the rooms were very clean. Even the construction of the new hotels surrounding this hotel were not a real issue for us, BUT, what was a huge issue for us were the workers who started pounding away with hammers on the front porch of this hotel right beneath our window at 6:50am on the first morning after we arrived. Despite assurances from the manager that the next day it would not happen until at least 9:00am, the next morning at 7:30, there went the workmen again. I understand that hotels need to update and modernize, but really? Clearly someone forgot about the guests. To the managers credit she did offer us compensation, but I would think twice about staying in this hotel again simply because I didn't feel she was assertive enough with the workers, which makes me question her leadership skills.

Room Tip: Really can't say due to our experience.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
CountryInnOhareSouth, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

I had a HORRIBLE experience at this hotel. We requested a feather free room due to 2 of 3 in our party having allergies to feathers. It was also requested during check in, which I was told that our room was ready now (upon arrival at the hotel). We entered the room & I knew immediately there was down in the room b/c of my eye swelling. We were just starting our trip & I figured I'd survive, so I didn't say anything then & we proceeded into the city. We came back very late (around 11:30PM) and no one was at the desk, so we went to bed. By morning, my eyes were very swollen & purple & I had almost lost my voice from the feathers, as well as my daughter being extremely stuffed up, sneezing, & coughing/wheezing from them. So I went & spoke to Andre, the manager on duty, & he said he saw it in our reservation & would take care of the issue right away. We proceeded to breakfast, which was a really good selection for a hotel complimentary breakfast. When we went back to the room Andre called to tell me that the housekeeping manager informed him that there are no non-down alternatives in the hotel. I got off the phone & told Andre I'd come to the desk to discuss it. I took (from the closet of the room) the non-down blanket & pillow that were in the bag, boasting "For Your Comfort" that the hotel offers non-down alternative for individuals such as myself. He was caught off guard & I told him I wasn't trying to prove him wrong & I completely understand that he is at the mercy of what the housekeeping manager is telling him, however as the manager of the hotel, he should know otherwise. He apologized & wrote down that we needed 4 blankets & 4 pillows upon our return that night. He went around the corner into the laundry room (caddy corner from our room, so I could hear them) & told the housekeeping manager about the blankets. She argued with him & made a big issue of it, so I expected an issue from her upon our return that night. And of course there was. I have attached pictures of the feather pillows shoved in the closet area(not removed from the room), and also pictures of the fresh (b/c it was still red) blood on the comforter that they put on 1 of the 2 beds! We were disgusted! I was very kind in my interaction with Andre, and have no complaint about how he handled the situation. That night, I took the bloody blanket (there were at least 8 spots & streaks of blood, & we only inspected part of it before I went to the front desk yet again) to the front desk & explained the issue to the woman there(I didn't get her name). She told me a few times, "I don't understand what the issue is." I told her that I wasn't sleeping in a bed with blood on the comforter & she again said, "But I don't see the problem, please tell me what you want me to do." I told her I want non-down blankets that have no blood on them from the housekeeping manager/staff so that we can just go to bed. There were people in line behind me ready to check in or ask a question (they had just walked in the door), & they saw how rude she was, commented on it even, and how disgusting it was that there was blood on our blanket. The front desk girl then came back with 1 blanket, when we originally asked for 4 (in case it was chilly & they are much thinner than the down comforters). I took the blanket & went back to our room.

Other than the housekeeping issues, our stay was fine. The breakfast was great. The parking is horrendous b/c of construction & there is not nearly enough parking, but that wasn't a big deal to me. Other than the bloody blanket, which was seemingly intentional by the rude, upset housekeeping manager that had been proven wrong, the hotel was clean & quiet, & in a good area. If it weren't for the housekeeping, we would stay here again. But b/c of it, we won't.

Room Tip: Don't ask for an allergy free room!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2017

The staff (front desk / shuttle drivers) were all professional and friendly. Breakfast was standard free fare - nothing special but OK. Does not have food and shopping within walking distance but there is plenty just a short drive away. Free shuttle to and from airport was convenient for us to get to and from the metro.

Area around the hotel is under construction due to a new hotel being built adjacent – not the fault of this hotel. Plenty of places to park even if it was gravel. This hotel has been allowed to deteriorate. There was junk outside the pool area – reported by another reviewer several months ago. The pool area was dark and dirty. The pool deck was in need of a total paint job. Many of the tiles were stained or moldy. The room itself seemed clean. The bathroom was bright but as you looked closer you realized it needed refreshed. The back of the door was noticeably stained. The door handle had issues and trapped my young son – and later myself. After swimming on the last night, the boys got water on the floor. I used my foot to wipe a towel across the water. When I turned the towel over, it was very dirty.

I would not stay here again unless I was sure that renovations were made and management changed.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson
CountryInnOhareSouth, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

We are sorry to hear of your unsatisfactory experience during your stay. It is unfortunate when situations like this arise. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services

Reviewed 25 August 2017

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2017

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bensenville
4.1 km away
3.9 km away
Hampton Inn Chicago-O'Hare International Airport
3.5 km away
Regal Inn Chicago-O'hare Airport Franklin Park

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South? Share your experiences!