“bad food, not worth the money”
Review of Versailles

Versailles
Ranked #68 of 111 Restaurants in Buffalo Grove
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: French, Russian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 30 January 2017

Brunch - Royal Package $ 45: dark old meat slices, stale salad, cucumbers mushy and ruined.
For dessert no fruit, half a slice of puff. very poor and meager.

Date of visit: January 2017

Reviewed 16 November 2016

Meal was OK but has nothing that stands out. Apperance and portions were OK with the taste, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 13 October 2016 via mobile

We came here for our anniversary and it was not a dissappointment.The food was very good and the server Max was very attentive even though he was a one man show. It showed that he enjoyed working there! Appetiser were marvelous! We ordered the Surf and Turf and Seafood linguine.Highly recommended. I am surprised that its quiet.Im definately coming back

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 8 April 2016

Since I can't seem to be able to connect to write a review of The Pavillion, in Buffalo Grove, Illinois, I'm connecting it to Versailles, which is the banquet hall The Pavillion is a part of. Like to find out why Trip Advisor won't open up for me to review The Pavillion??
So, 4 of us had dinner at The Pavillion, a Russian style restaurant.
It is a quiet, low-key, understated place of excellent cuisine. Friends we went with had been there a few times, highly recommended it. I agree.
Small, intimate, very European style. Slow? Not in true European style. Don't be in a hurry - no one rushes you. Courses are brought out when you're ready for them. In Europe, you need to ask for the check - same here. Plenty of time for conversation.
The food - very good, well prepared. We were there on a Wednesday, 1/2 price appetizers. Large servings. Had Nova Lox Platter, Rasputin Style Blini, Combination Platter:Vareniky (potato pierogies) and Pelmeny (chicken dumplings), Seared Scallops. Tomato Bisque and Cream of Mushroom soups. Entree of Romanoff Beef Stew. Excellent-all. Too full for dessert.
On a down size, The Pavillion is easily over-looked, being tucked into a back corner of Versailees Banquets. Be good to move The Pavillion to the front of the building, or even closer to McHenry Road. We were there between 5-7:30 (remember: not rushed). We were 4 of a total of 9 diners while we were there. I can't imagine how long they could stay in business. We all loved it. I would say get there before they're gone. A real taste of Europe style eating, in the nw burbs.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 8 December 2015 via mobile

I was a customer at this place a few times for family events. The only positive experience is the music, I really liked the talented band that played here on Saturday nights. They sang a variety of songs of different generations. That's the only reason I am giving it 2 stars. The food here is not outstanding at all and somewhat average. A tip to customers, who are more used to going to American establishments and will potentially visit this place- please save a coat check ticket, as something extremely valuable. If you do accidentally lose it, you are in huge trouble. A coat check clerk there would most likely give you a hard time and get into an argument, even if it's one of the last coats claimed and you give her a full description of the item & an exact ticket number! Other creditable establishments in the United States make every attempt to distinguish which item belongs to their guest, and get it back to them at the time they request it. Here they have no problem with having their customer go out in a freezing cold without a coat, if you don't submit a bloody ticket to them! I guess she really needed to feel the importance of her job at the end of the night. The owner was not helpful either in that situation and appeared as a very rude and unethical gentleman that I would not trust. My impression is that the management here still follows a Soviet approach when dealing with customers, something I don't appreciate and therefore will attempt to avoid this place as much as possible now and in the near future!

Date of visit: December 2015