“Dismal service! Make sure you check what you’re receiving before you leave!!”

Maize Mexican Grill
Get food delivered
OR
Get food delivered
Ranked #12 of 309 Restaurants in Champaign
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I placed an order for pickup at Maize, which I have done many times in the past, but this time, the service was poor and below standard. I had two entree’s and an order of a side of chips and salsa. Technically, I should have received three containers of salsa; that was not the case, I received only one. I had placed an order for a watermelon juice with no ice; only to get an order of lemonade with ice. If I wouldn’t have checked then and there, I would have to come back to return the drink. When I requested that I get the correct drink, if was filled up to 3/4 of the cup and I was told that that is the amount of drink that they fill the cup with with and the rest was for ice. I asked to speak with a manger because it seemed like the servers were not interested in fulfilling the order with due diligence. The manager was the guy I was talking to; some 20 year old college student, who didn’t know much about customer service! This has been, by far, my worst experience at Maize! Word of caution! Make sure you check your order before you leave!!!

Date of visit: September 2021
1  Thank zd017
Write a reviewReviews (143)

Reviewed 22 May 2021 via mobile

I’m a local and have been eating here for several years but went in today with a small group of friends and was shocked how the quality of food here has gone down. No seasonings what so ever on the tacos or fajitas, menu has recently changed at least at the downtown location located on Chestnut Street. No longer possible to order tacos a la cart need to now order at least 3 and they start at $15 , this does include a small portion of rice and beans. If you choose a grilled meat on your taco there is an addition charge of 75 cents per taco. I would expect these prices in a big city but a small town like Champaign it seems a little ridiculous. Even the veggie tacos with basically lettuce &tomato and small amount of avocado is $15 for 3. When my friend asked to speak to the manager about the quality, taste and price of the veggie tacos the manager was shockingly rude and defensive to us. Despite all the times my family has enjoyed meals here over the years we will be finding another place to enjoy Mexican food in the future.

Date of visit: May 2021
2  Thank elizabeth d
Reviewed 18 July 2020 via mobile

DELICIOUS. I have almost zero plans of driving through this area again, but I'm sad I won't because this food was so goood!

Date of visit: July 2020
Reviewed 3 December 2019

Must be doing something right when your patrons criss cross every demographic conceivable and everyone likes what you make.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed 11 October 2019

Family wanted to try out this most talked about Mexican outlet in town and they did not fail to impress us. The food and the service were both just great. Fresh tacos & nachos. The rice drink was beyond this world. The place is too small for a eat in though. Take away is a option to enjoy your food at leisure outside or at home.

Date of visit: August 2019