“A Chicago Classic and in the Loop”

The Berghoff Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Berghoff Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #263 of 10,110 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$11 - US$30
Cuisines: German
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: State Street
Transit: Located in the heart of Chicago's Loop, easily accessible by CTA's Red, Blue, Green, Brown, Orange, and Pink lines and numerous bus routes.
Description: The Berghoff Restaurant is a Chicago landmark, serving German-style cuisine and culture since 1898. One of the oldest family-run businesses in the nation, it is now run by fourth generation, Pete Berghoff. At today’s Berghoff, menus have evolved to add newer, lighter and more contemporary dishes, but it’s still the same old Berghoff, down to the famous root beer. Open for lunch and dinner, the Berghoff’s wide variety of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, and entrées is sure to satisfy everyone in your party. With fresh ingredients, seasonal menus and vegetarian & gluten-free dishes, it's “tradition with a twist!” Private Dining provides a truly unique event experience within the setting of the historic Berghoff building. Host your next event in one of our four private rooms. Contact us to start planning today!
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I first ate here back in the 1970s, and in a good way the decor has not changed much. It very much feels like it probably did decades before even then. I've had lunch and dinner here and never had a bad meal, although this last visit was a little underwhelming. I booked our table through OpenTable, and that worked out perfectly. The restaurant was about a half mile walk from our hotel, and it was a pleasant enough walk through the Loop of the Chicago Elevated. The restaurant was clean, the wait staff and hostess were great, and the service was overall the best part of the experience. The prices were reasonable considering taxes, and other costs for being right in the heart of Chicago.

My younger son opted for the vegetarian butternut squash lasagne and he said was ok, although rather light on the cheese and pasta, and a bit too much little cubes of squash. My older son had the Jaeger Schnitzel, which was something he had never had before and cleaned his plate. My daughter had a big brat in a big bun and enjoyed every bite, although she couldn't quite finish it. My wife had the Wiener Schnitzel and devoured it. I had the platter of game sausages and thought they were ok. I had to guess which was venison, which was boar, and which was duck. They were a bit more gristly than I expected. My son and I made a bit of a game guessing which meat was which, which helped. We all split a strudel and a chocolate cake for dessert, which was enough. The German beer selection was a bit sparse, but I enjoyed by Weissen Dunkel.

The place has a lively atmosphere and is very kid friendly. It's the kind of place I could go back to every 5-10 years, which is often enough for me.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,276)

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We made a reservation for a Friday 5:30 for 9 people- 5 kids included. Our table was ready when we got there. Restaurant was busy. Service was great. Food came quickly. Never had to wait for refills or anything. The food was delicious. Highly recommend this iconic restaurant.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

Use to love this place----grab a Sandwich at the MAN'S bar, or get a great lunch or dinner in the dinning area. After 19 years I returned to Berghokk ( I live in APAC now) and dined with friends---we all agree its not the same.

Even the Great Rye Bread was mediocre. The beer tastes different, was informed they changed suppliers years ago.

Wonder if Valerie Berghoff is still involved or maybe Berghoff sold to some bland restaurant group???

Reviewed 30 March 2018

We walked past this restaurant on our way from Willis Tower back to our hotel. We stopped in for lunch and had a wonderful time! The cheese curds for an appetizer was great and we all enjoyed our meals. Our service was very attentive and we left full and happy we stopped!

Reviewed 29 March 2018

The Berghoff feels very cosy on a cold Chicago afternoon. All the wood paneling and stained glass somehow comfort one. And the beer. Berghoff's own beers are quite good and they go well with its substantial sandwiches and other dishes. For someone who has been here decades ago, yes, I believe it was better then. But it still is good, and the Berghoff deserves a visit when, say, you are visiting the Art Institute or otherwise in this part of downtown.

Been to The Berghoff Restaurant? Share your experiences!